• Hi @cefitzger thanks for your feedback.

I agree it might be confusing, but not all combinations of security params are valid, e.g. some of them are mutually exclusive. If you set "lesc" to true, then all other parameters get ignored. I've tried to describe this in the documentation here: https://www.espruino.com/Reference#l_NRF­_setServices

Note: Not all combinations of security configuration values are valid, the valid combinations are: encrypted, encrypted + mitm, lesc, signed, signed + mitm.

Effectively all your tests were done using "lesc". Not all BT devices support this security protocol, I think it has been introduced in BT 4.2 specification. I assume one of your android device, ios or pixl itself does not support it, hence fails establishing security channel.

I did some test using a sniffer (nrf51822 and android 7.x), what I saw is similar to your WireShark trace, but after a successful pairing response I saw that all data packages were encrypted, I could not even see what type of packages get exchanged, e.g. the software I used could not decode radio packages.

Re rationale of having security configs per each characteristic. I agree this might be confusing, but if you consider characteristics as abstract resources, then why would not you have different levels per each? I can make up an example. Let's say you have a peripheral device that can report some data which is not secure (open). You may connect to it and read that data, you may chose not to establish or not to establish secure channel (pair or not pair), this is a valid case. But also that device provides a characteristic that is used to change some settings, this one has to be secured hence you mark it as secured, i.e. forcing central to establish secure connection just for this characteristic. I think it makes perfect sense having different levels per each characteristics (and not globally).

• Hi @Vlad,

I assumed that this was to indicate capabilities as is with network protocols - my mistake. I've re-run with this config though and get exactly the same result:

security: { // optional
            read: { // optional
              encrypted: true, // optional, default is false
              mitm: true, // optional, default is false
              lesc: false, // optional, default is false
              signed: false // optional, default is false
            },

The Encrypted and MITM options are ignored.

The iPhone and Android indicate support for LESC with MITM (see this article for a discussion of the weakness of LESC without MITM Protection - https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic-­q-a/35856/questions-about-lesc-mitm-and-­passkey/138216#138216 .)

I had also assumed that, as this is in the Espruino API documentation, the Pixl supported the options available. @Gordon can you comment on the features that should work with the Pixl?

As to the comment on the use case, I can agree that a device could be required to support protected and un-protected characteristics. So the be able to say per characteristic and per action (read/write) whether it is secure or not seems like a great feature to have.

However, this still seems to be something that should be device wide, not per characteristic. It would not work to require encrypted+mitm for one characteristic and LESC for another - the bonding process can only result in one outcome.

On the issue of reading encrypted packets, any device that is eavesdropping during the bonding process can get the keys and decrypt the packets, especially if it is LESC without a Random PIN and MITM. Even with MITM protection and a static PIN, the sniffer can easily decode the packets (you can see the passkey/OOB Key field in the screenshot I sent earlier).

About

Avatar for cefitzger @cefitzger started