Controlling puck.js over web BLE

Posted on
  • Hi, i am trying to control the puck.js from a web bluetooth website. I am not a programmer but i do understand some basics.
    So far i have some basic code, grabbed from one of Gordons tutorials, what i am trying to achieve is to make the puck advertise a link and then of course disconnect it from the computer in order for it to advertise. if anyone knows a quick and easy solution please respond, would be really grateful.

Here is the code.

<html>
     <head>
     </head>
     <body>
      <script src="https://www.puck-js.com/puck.js"></­script>

<button onclick="Puck.write('LED1.set();\n');">O­n!</button>
      <button onclick="Puck.write('LED1.reset();\n');"­>Off!</button>

<button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[require("ble_eddystone").get("goo.gl/B3­J0Oc")]);\n');">Advertise</button>

<button onClick="Puck.disconnect();>disconnect device</button>

</body>
    </html>

• IMO this doesn't work because at the time you call require("ble_eddystone"), the Puck is already left alone without any link to reach the module source. What you could try is to upload in the Puck a script like

var beacon=require("ble_eddystone");
    save();

Then on your web page , the command should be <button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get("goo.gl/B3J0Oc")]);\n');">Ad­vertise</button>.
    This way, you ensure the module ble_eddystoneis already available on the Puck.

• Ok so i have uploaded the script into the puck and changed the buttons onClick function, now when i try to click the advertise button, it is giving me UncaughtSyntaxError.

I have also corrected the code on the disconnect device button as it has a little spelling mistake.

The code looks like this now:

<html>
     <head>
     </head>
     <body>
      <button onclick="Puck.write('LED1.set();\n');">O­n!</button>
      <button onclick="Puck.write('LED1.reset();\n');"­>Off!</button>
      <button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get("goo.gl/test123")]);\n');">A­dvertise</button>

<button onClick="Puck.disconnect()">Disconnect</­button>

</body>
    </html>

I have included the errors i am getting.

1 Attachment

• Screenshot 2019-02-13 at 16.45.53.png
  • Ok a little update, i have managed to close the connection with Puck.close(); function.

• Dont' you have to escape the " on line 8?

<button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get(\"goo.gl/test123\")]);\n');"­>Advertise</button>

• Well, from what i see the double quote has been closed, but maybe there is something im missing out?

<button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get("goo.gl/test123")]);\n');">A­dvertise</button>

It is telling me that it is a syntax error meaning that the link or entire function is wrongly typed?

• UPDATE

The puck is receiving the command when i use the console

Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising([beacon.g­et("goo.gl/test123")]);\n');

But throws error as soon as i try do it using the button.

• The issue is that you have a quote inside a quote... Try:

<button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get(&quot;goo.gl/test123&quot;)]­);\n');">Advertise</button>

Basically it's the web browser itself thinks the string onClick="... has ended when it sees the second quote.

There are other ways of doing it that are nicer, for instance you could use a third type of quotes! The templated String ones:

<button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get(`goo.gl/test123`)]);\n');">A­dvertise</button>
    </body>

Or you could add a function inside a <script> tag and call that, because inside that function you won't have the quoting issues.

• Jean-Philippe_Rey and Gordon thank you very much for your help, it works the way i want it to now, i knew it was something with the quotes but couldn't figure it out.

For any one else that wants to achieve something similar, this is the code:

<html>
     <head>
     </head>
     <body>
      <button onClick="Puck.write('LED1.set();\n');">O­n!</button>
      <button onClick="Puck.write('LED1.reset();\n');"­>Off!</button>
      <button onClick="Puck.write('NRF.setAdvertising(­[beacon.get(`goo.gl/test123`)]);\n');">A­dvertise</button>

<button onClick="Puck.close()">Disconnect</butto­n>

</body>
    </html>

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Controlling puck.js over web BLE