You are reading a single comment by @stephaneAG and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • a quick update on the subject: I tried for a while getting the following to work but yet without success ( it seems I get the beginning right, but then my code happily produces 'instant pixel artifacts garbage' instead of sending part of the buffer for spi refresh )

The idea behind the 'flipP' ( fliPartial() ) & 'clearP()' ( clearPartial() ) is to be able to later build upon those in order to provide saving & restoring an ArrayBuffer ( g.buffer ) smaller than the entire screen as well as providing a way to quickly update or clear only part of the screen ( in normal & paletted mode )

If anyone's skilled & brave enough to defeat the troubles that lies below, I guess I'm not the only one who'd benefit for such kindness ;p

the non-working-quite-right versions ( rest of the code is as above )

exports.connectPaletted = function(palette, spi, dc, ce, rst, callback) {
    // ( .. )
    // flipP(): execute a partial refresh of the buffer to the screen - seems working for whatever fy & fheight if fx==0 & fwidth==LCD_WIDTH
      g.flipP = function(fx, fy, fwidth ,fheight) {
        ce.reset();
        spi.write(0x2A,dc);
        //spi.write(0,fx+1,0,fwidth+1);
        //spi.write(0,fx+2,0,fwidth);
        //spi.write(0,fx+1,0,fwidth); // the +1 is what actually does the trick
        spi.write(0,fx+1,0,fwidth);
        //spi.write(0,fx+1, 0,fx+fwidth); // COMBO THAT SEEMS TO PASS ( seemed to trick this out for fwidth == lcd_width ) ?!
        spi.write(0x2B,dc);
        //spi.write(0,fy,0,fy+fheight); // responsible for the glitches ? ( stuff 'rolling over' itself on the vertical axis )
        //spi.write(0,fy+1,fheight+1);
        //spi.write(0,fy,fheight);         // COMBO THAT SEEMS TO PASS for fwidth == lcd_width, but was missing an arg ?!
        //spi.write(0,fy,1,fheight);
        spi.write(1,fy,0,fheight);
        spi.write(0x2C,dc);
        var lines = 16; // size of buffer to use for un-paletting
        var a = new Uint16Array(fwidth*lines); // default
        //for (var y=0;y<fheight;y+=lines) { // default - doesn't work for stuff not at top of screen
        for (var y=fy;y<fy+fheight;y+=lines) { // A-way - seemed to work for fxwidth == lcd_width & stuff not at top of screen
          //E.mapInPlace(new Uint8Array(g.buffer, y*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits); // default - seems to work for whatever fheight & fy
          // idea: (new Uint8Array(g.buffer, (y+(fx*y))*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits);
          E.mapInPlace(new Uint8Array(g.buffer, (y+(fx*y))*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits); // seemed to work for whatever fheight & fy
          spi.write(a.buffer);
        }
        ce.set();
      };

// clearP(): execute a partial clear of the buffer to the screen - currently discovered as an error in the above 'flipP' code .. :|
      g.clearP = function(fx, fy, fwidth ,fheight) {
        ce.reset();
        spi.write(0x2A,dc);
        //spi.write(0,fx+1,0,fwidth+1);
        //spi.write(0,fx+2,0,fwidth);
        //spi.write(0,fx,0,fwidth);
        spi.write(0,fx+1,0,fwidth); // the +1 is what actually does the trick
        //spi.write(0,fx+1, 0,fx+fwidth); // COMBO THAT SEEMS TO PASS ( seemed to trick this out for fwidth == lcd_width ) ?!
        spi.write(0x2B,dc);
        //spi.write(0,fy,0,fy+fheight); // responsible for the glitches ? ( stuff 'rolling over' itself on the vertical axis )
        //spi.write(0,fy+1,fheight+1);
        //spi.write(0,fy,fheight);         // COMBO THAT SEEMS TO PASS for fwidth == lcd_width, but was missing an arg ?!
        spi.write(0,fy,0,fheight);
        //spi.write(0,fy,1,fheight);
        //spi.write(0,fy+1,0,fheight);
        spi.write(0x2C,dc);
        var lines = 16; // size of buffer to use for un-paletting
        var a = new Uint16Array(fwidth*lines); // default
        //for (var y=0;y<fheight;y+=lines) { // default - doesn't work for stuff not at top of screen
        for (var y=fy;y<fy+fheight;y+=lines) { // default - seemed to work for fxwidth == lcd_width & stuff not at top of screen
          E.mapInPlace(new Uint8Array(g.buffer, y*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits); // default
          // idea: (new Uint8Array(g.buffer, (y+(fx*y))*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits);
          //E.mapInPlace(new Uint8Array(g.buffer, (y+(fx*y))*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits); // give vertical-space colored glitches
          //E.mapInPlace(new Uint8Array(g.buffer, y*(fx+y)*fwidth*bits/8, a.length), a, palette, bits); // give vertical-space colored glitches
          spi.write(a.buffer);
        }
        ce.set();
      };

test code ( better tried with something already drawn on screen, like some polygons or a logo ..

var g = exports.connectPaletted(colorPalette, spi, screen_dc, screen_cs, screen_rst, function() {
      //g.clear(); // NOPE, we DON'T ;)
      g.setFont8x12();
      // ( .. )
      g.setColor(3);
        g.drawString("Hello, world!", 2, 2);
        g.setColor(2);
        g.drawString("Hello, world 2!", 2, 16);

//g.flip(); // NOPE, we DON'T use this one either ..    

// full changing both but nothing else
        g.flipP(0, 0, LCD_WIDTH, 12);  // seems to work fine
        g.flipP(0, 16, LCD_WIDTH, 12);  // seems to work fine

// trying to partially change both
        setTimeout(function(){
          g.setColor(8);
          g.drawString("Karaki", 2, 2);
          g.setColor(9);
          g.drawString("Karaki2", 2, 16);
          //g.flipP(0, 2, LCD_WIDTH, 4); // cut its top ?! :L
          g.flipP(0, 0, LCD_WIDTH, 4); // what about its top ?
          g.flipP(0, 16+2, LCD_WIDTH, 4); // doesn't work at all :L
          console.log('color change 2 ( partial horizontal ) occured ?');
          setTimeout(function(){
            g.setColor(10);
            g.drawString("Karaki", 2, 2);
            g.setColor(11);
            g.drawString("Karaki2", 2, 16);
            g.flipP(0, 0, 50, 4); // so how is its beginning ?
            g.flipP(0, 16+2, 50, 4); // & this one's ?
            console.log('color change 3 ( partial vertical ) occured ?'); // -> getting garbage for both ..
          }, 6000);
        }, 2000);

I achieved 'horizontal color stripes' on the 1st item with 3 redrawns before messing with the code & not being able to fix my mess back to that moment I wished I saved it :/ ( gotta upload picture of this & other cases as well .. )

this being said, I'm onto a little break ..

About

Avatar for stephaneAG @stephaneAG started