• @stephaneAG
    I think an open source adaptive controller (compare with Microsoft Xbox Adaptive Controller) is a great idea and have been working on using the Teensy 3.6 as a USB pass through for this.

In pass through mode, buttons and sticks work. Rumble and LEDs TBD. No support for console authentication. Tested on Linux running jstest-gtk and Windows 10 gamepad properties test. Also tested on the Steam/Valve network using the controller settings window.

More than one controller may be connected at the same time using a USB hub. All controller output is combined to the XBOX360/Xinput emulator output. This is similar to the Xbox co-pilot feature because more than one controller can used to play one person in a game.

Since the pass through is based on the PJRC joystick/gamepad example program, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, and PS4 (?) controllers are supported. PS4 controller is still flaky. Mostly it comes down to remapping buttons from the PS4 to the corresponding buttons on the Xbox360.

Hold on to the Xbox 360 console. I do not think I will have time to look at controller auth. Perhaps some one else would like to tackle that part. Same for Espruino and ESP8266. A Teensy 3.6 XBOX360 adaptive controller for Windows, Linux, and Steam games seems useful on its own. I do not know if it works on Mac since I do not have one.

Twenty digital inputs all on the same side of the Teensy 3.6 board are set as INPUT with internal pull ups. A switch or button that grounds the input is detected as a button activation. I think assistive tech buttons/switches connect ground when pressed so this should work. The first eleven inputs map to the eleven buttons on the XBOX360 controller. The four more could be mapped to D pad inputs (TBD).

About

Avatar for gdsports @gdsports started