• Thanks for the hint. Making something really fun needs a bit more creativity than two layered sine modulations. Something similar I created in the past: a camp fires for stage prop - non-electronic: colored tissue papers stapled to a few split logs for flames over a fan and spot lamp - and electronc: a flickering fire for a nativity scene scene 1:10 using partially burned matches and a bunch of colored small LEDs, driven with some 13 stage binary counter and left-over NANDs driven by a free running multivibrator w/ NANDs. First as recent as this summer for a kids musical, latter 20+ years ago for my wife.

Currently, it was supplied separately while still on the 'lab bench'. A 12V 1A switched power supply feeds the lights, Espruino PICO was still connected to the IDE. I know that I can drive PICO as well from the 12V. The module allows to be fed w/ 12V DC or AC, because it has a full way rectifier bridge (DB1) on it - zoom into the pic to see it. The 5V for mc, memory and IR receiver are created with a Zener (Z1) and 390R resistor (R13) and 'supported' by a capacitor (C1) - +5V on the left side, 0V/GND on the right side (on the lower module in the pic, back of the board). While the components were still on, I measured something like 4.89V across the Zener. Running for a while, stuff got a bit warm, especially the rectifier bridge, as I could feel. With components off, the 5V circuitry has no load anymore.

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started