• Maintenant, je compris, Eric. --- What does not enter my mind though is why should it be different as @Gordon points out: if the font supports 8 bit, which - I hope - both of your projects use the same font. What @Gordon says is that a string can be passed on in two ways: with 8 bit character set as "mémé", but when only seven bits are considered, it has to be "m\xe9m\xe9". It is almost like a shift-in and shift-out for each single character that is above 127 ASCII value (MS BIT set). I did not know that Espruino (only? or JavaScript in general? or strings in general - latter most likely a standard how to deal w/ 8 bit chars in a 7 bit world) has this feature... but it is nice to know. Somewhere along the line - when the string is transported / chopped up into characters / mapped to the font - this matters and weird things happen... I expect it the cooperation of Graphics and Font object - similar to the following out put created in console. It looks to me that for strings with MSBit set, an encoding happens on transport to and/or from console entry to Espruino and back... (console) echo behaves 7-bit-ish and different from 8-bit-ish console.log().

Connected to /dev/cu.usbmodem14111
    >var ps = "mémé";
    ="m\xE9m\xE9"
    >var cs="m\xE9m\xE9"
    ="m\xE9m\xE9"
    >console.log(ps)
    mémé
    =undefined
    >console.log(cs);
    mémé
    =undefined
    >var c = "é"
    ="\xE9"
    >cs.length
    =4
    >ps.length
    =4
    >é
    Uncaught SyntaxError: Got ?[233] expected EOF
     at line 1 col 1
    ?[233]
         ^
    >var é = 5
    Uncaught SyntaxError: Got ?[233] expected EOF
     at line 1 col 5
    var ?[233] = 5
             ^
    > 

Just for the sake of fun I tried a variable name e-accent-egu - for your name's - éric - sake... ;)

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started