• work with require - if we only uploaded tree-shaken code then you'd never be able to do require(x) on the left-hand side of the IDE.

Can even be made to output the Modules.addCached calls just as the current solution does. Can be added as an option if required.

Also I bet it doesn't preserve line-numbers for debug/etc, so could only ever be an option (not the default).

The toolchain should be configurable to the point it would allow this. Or source map support can be added to the IDE and elsewhere. So this could work even for minified code.

trying to include NPM, babel, etc in an online IDE would probably make it huge and slow.

Yes, this would need to be carefully selected for the IDE. But IMO doable.

just made it a service on the Espruino website?

I still think it is to be done so that you should not need any server-side. Just the IDE should be enough. E.g. rollup is not slow on its own AFACT. It just babel and/or the minification parts are taking more time (which I can imagine people can wait for) and can be big to download for the first time.

I think I'd try to create some rollup POC PR for the IDE just to see how that would fare. What do you think?

About

Avatar for opichals @opichals started