• The ESP32 will serve data directly from it's own IP - that's why it needs a separate network. If it was just making outgoing connections, I could use the real network.

I was totally overwhelmed by the amount of learning that would be required to figure out how to store the data on drazzy.com, and I talked to multiple friends who are experienced with setting up database servers, but they all told me different things, so I just threw my hands up in the air and decided to put the logic on the ESP32 because I know how to do that approach, and it's fun to write javascript, but unpleasant to try to figure out how to set up a database server - and then there's security, since I am not qualified to assess whether the database server is secure, I would need to have it isolated on another system, not drazzy.com, or find and hire someone who could assess it as such.

These are all shitty reasons, but I had literally spent over a year with multiple projects blocked because I wasn't able to make any progress without being overwhelmed by options, doubt, and confusion. So I was like - I need to actually do this, and stop letting the obsession with the "right way" prevent me from ever making progress, and use the techniques I know to make a working solution.

I already have the RF code written, so I'm not going to switch to the NRF or EFM boards. I am super busy and struggling to find time to work on projects as is. I have working RF code for arduino and can make a serial<->RF bridge for $3 by plugging an off the shelf receiver and/or transmitter into an off the shelf pro mini and uploading a sketch I've already written to it. Reinventing the wheel is a non-starter - especially since I have over a dozen devices already deployed and in use based on my current method.

Flash filesystem is a possibility - but if I'm actually writing it permanently, I might as well use an SD card so I can easily get the data onto a computer en masse.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started