• One of my current projects is to get the data from the sensors in my room and make it available over the internet. A cloud provider that I do not control is out of the question, because those services can be shut down at the whim of a third party, but I don't want an Espruino (or anything) exposed to the internet on my real home network.

My plan is thus:
    Second router, second wifi network for IoT devices we don't fully trust the security of.
    ESP32 on that network, which will serve up json containing data from the sensors
    Arduino Pro Mini (8mhz 3.3v) connected to the ESP32's UART2. This will use a 433mhz RF receiver (RXB-14 or RXB-12) and output the received data over serial to the ESP32.
    Sensors will broadcast current readings on 433mhz RF.
    Since E.setSNTP() doesn't exist on ESP32, will get current time from my webserver on AWS ( drazzy.com/time.shtml ) and use that to set it's internal clock.

ESP32 will thus be able to serve up the current status of my room, as well as data to generate a graph of the past few days. The client pages will be served up from drazzy.com (or could be served from spencekonde.com - since it's personal stuff - or even located on local machine) and will use standard libraries to generate the graphs from it.

The same can also be done in reverse, with the ESP32 telling the Arduino to transmit commands based on received requests - the 433mhz is the "bridge" between the real home network, and the IOT-device one.

The next steps are to do the code that will store and serve the information on the ESP32, and finish the build of the new sensor and control hub that will live on the "real" side of the network.

Likely I will use an ESP32 board with the PSRAM once those are supported for JSVars in order to have more memory to store historical data, so the charts are richer. I'm unsure what, if anything, I'll do for permanent storage. Maybe FRAM. Maybe a uSD card... FRAM prices are way down lately, btw - 1mbit chips for under $7 now!

For the sensor controller (the one on the "real" network) I need to get an Espruino build environment set up for STM32 boards and make a copy of the Espruino Board definition, only for the D-spec part. I think I'll start a new thread about that.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started