You are reading a single comment by @OpenSourceTeacher and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I picked up a cheap generic iBeacon that uses the nrf51822. You can see a listing on Ali Express at https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2V-3-3V-­NRF51822-Bluetooth-4-0-Wireless-Module-F­or-iBeacon-Base-Station-Intelligent-Cont­rol-System/32824004498.html

Since it's running on the same chip as the micro:bit, is it safe to assume that if I were to get a programmer and connect it, I could potentially run espruino on this thing? I looked on the forums, and it appears that no one has brought this up before, or my search skills are lacking.

If so, that would be incredible, but I have no idea where to start. I've already mangled this beacon a bit, so if I damage it in the process, it'll be no big loss.

I'm already started on integrating my puck into my home automation system, which will perform context-aware actions based on what room it's in when the button is pressed (and potentially more complex actions based on sensor data). If it can be ported to run on this cheap a device, I can imagine having a set of various beacons attached to devices that would trigger specific actions in certain places (like a beacon that turns on the lights in whatever room you're in when you press it, or a beacon that controls my music system and sets it to the room I'm in).

About