Please post what you're working on!

Posted on
Page
of 7
  • Thx for the thoughts, you're right that probably the accelerometer is the best choice of course. ADXL345 has free fall detection, I am currently investigating this. The problem is that the puck is such a nice package, even a lanyard can be attached. Now the extra cables for the accelerometer will require new 3d printing for another case, etc.

• I guess you might be able to make a small PCB that sits on top of Puck.js and contains the accelerometer? At least the silicone is pliable enough that you could get an extra 2mm or so in there without too much trouble.

• Would a simple vibration detector be suitable for zero battery drain option at a push?
    Not sure how sensitive they are, but worth playing with. Possibly coupled with magnetometer variances followed by a vibration signal to indicate a motion followed by a sudden stop.

Another method could be based on a magnet mounted on rubber bands that would oscillate following a abrupt stop. Use the magnetometer to learn the polarity variances following various motions.

Not as solid state but may have some experimental legs in it?

• Web Bluetooth gateway

Control multiple pucks in console mode, relay a master's instructions to connected slaves and I've just got MQTT subscriptions working over websocket - control puck via topic subscribed to over MQTT.

https://github.com/olliephillips/webbleM­Q

It's a bit like an Espruino Hub but in the browser, not on a Pi.

More planned with MQTT, including publishing and subscribing to each other in a master/slave fashion and an announced mode - an MQTT topic that lists listening pucks so we can control(hack) each other's

Not especially practical I guess, but the web bluetooth connections persist with browser in background, and I seem to think when computer sleeps, so maybe a bit useful.

Please note it's not secure. Although the WS connection is WSS the topics are on a public eclipse MQTT server. While the topic is fair contrived - someone would be hard pressed to guess it - it's obscurity only.

• MQTT publishing over websocket added. Tested with two Pucks connecting and publishing on topics of their own.

Edit: 'announced mode' available too now. Connected devices advertise their presence every 10 seconds on iot.eclipse.org topic /wmq/playing.

• I've had some decent results with this over MQTT, the Mosquitto browser client (via websocket) library is much better than I'd hoped for.

• Hi All,
    I supported puck.js in Kickstarter. I'm a bluetooth geek and recently got called upon to help a friend with a piece of stagecraft for the theater. They needed an actor-initiated button to actuate a relay at the light board. I prototyped it using a Nordic PCA10028 dev board set using their LED Button Service (LBS) demo. This weekend I picked up my puck.js's and implemented the peripheral side (code attached). I'm still using the dev board for the central so that they can use AC power (through USB) for that side and easily access the IO pins.

Bottom line - code attached for Nordic's LBS peripheral side - my first puck.js project. Shipped it off today.

Enjoy (I sure did)!

1 Attachment

• Easy hacking of espruino on Windows 10 with documentation

• all other projects on hold until Gordon "is happy"

https://github.com/espruino/EspruinoDocs­/pull/322#issuecomment-276205706

• @billsalt thanks! Glad it went so well for you!

So you're not actually using Espruino on the PCA10028 itself (it is possible :) ) - but you're having the Nordic demo code connect to Puck.js?

• Correct. I implemented the peripheral side of the Nordic LED/Button Service on the Puck.js and am using the PCA10028 to drive the relays and function as the central.

• hansamann

"The problem is that the puck is such a nice package, even a lanyard
    can be attached"

I just received my puck.js and note an indention half way up the black case that seems to fit the flexible white cover.
    Have people used this to allow for small extra's under the battery?

I was also pleasantly surprised at finding the small pin intentions in the bottom of the black case to allow for keeping the nice package and either permanent or temporary pins going out of the bottom to a possible extra black package payload area with same diameter or possible other forms.

I look around to see what people are using them for.

Edit:
    I then started reading from the beginning of the forum and found the start of hansamann subject which is a good one.
    My own wish is funnily enough to place some accelerometer in or under the nice package as the kids love accelerometers for some reason.
    Example: In denmark, one group of kids are putting micro:bits on paper planes and measuring the time of flight.

Edit:
    Are there extra cases available, it looks like the pins are symetrical allowing two black based to be affixed with pins.
    puckle.js being a device with a nRF52 leds button mag on one "side", and another button leds and accel (and maybe som prototype area) with extra battery on the other side.

Edit:
    One could have the color of the puckle.js side as red and forget the lights: Big Red Button...

Edit:
    Big Red Button just needs a turn on for the led R...
    Now I have another form for puckle.js with place for cool things.

Edit:
    Within 5 min of walking down the corridor, I have obtained one or two customers for Gordon that ensure support for Espruino and what Gordon feels he will use time on.
    I have obtained a couple of the card holders which I will experiment on.
    OK OK, I know I said all projects on hold before I do some doc for myself and others but this project gives immediate feedback and I have a group meeting on tuesday that will also be "interesting" to guage the reaction.

Edit:
    Got a Big Red Button working: just have to program for green yellow and red for "system status"

1 Attachment

• WP_20170202_09_12_23_Pro.jpg
  • The accelerometer has been asked a few times. I'm wondering if I could come up with a small, thin PCB that contained an accelerometer and could be soldered on.

Seems like a lot of effort though, and you can still have a lot of fun with the magnetometer.

I do have a few spare cases here. However the design files are online - you could have a lot more fun by just 3D printing yourself a new case that was exactly as you wanted it, and then fitting the existing silicone cover over it.

• However the design files are online

Excellent, I wondered if you'd made these available. Thanks!

• triangulation of workers with edison beacons to help people find people in a business where people keep moving desk and the address book cannot keep up.
    Point of Presence
    Edit:
    I have no need to sell a product: who ever wants to do this... go for it
    But for play and learn with kids, need an accelerometer :)

• Just looking at the files. Oddly I can't load them into Slic3r or Fusion 360. They load. But there's nothing there.

Edit: Ignore, must have been a bad download first go

• I had actually tested the 3D images last week: ok for Windows 10 3D Builder.
    I check with fusion 360

• Thanks - got it. Bad download

• A quick look at the 3D file(s)

Edit
    A great help in order to ensure full usage of the puck.js in whatever one wants to achieve

1 Attachment

• Capture.PNG
  • Thx for the thoughts, you're right that probably the accelerometer is
    the best choice of course. ADXL345 has free fall detection, I am
    currently investigating this. The problem is that the puck is such a
    nice package, even a lanyard can be attached. Now the extra cables for
    the accelerometer will require new 3d printing for another case, etc.

I have two choices, Freescale MMA8653FC (why is a "bit" complicated) and BNO055 as I have heard it is easy https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-bno0­55-absolute-orientation-sensor/overview

https://www.tindie.com/search/#q=BNO055

As such, mag and accel in one small tight package and is "interesting" if it works.
    I receive a ND0055 Arduino shield soon, and will be trying it against nRF52-dk and probably a puck.js (documentation)

This package is nice and square https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse­/tca9548a-i2c-multiplexer/?pt=full_prod_­search

This package is nice and round with processor https://www.tindie.com/products/FabLab/t­he-sensable-thing-pico-platinchen/?pt=fu­ll_prod_search

https://www.tindie.com/products/onehorse­/bno-055-9-axis-motion-sensor-with-hardw­are-fusion/

• Started a print on bottom.stl and hadn't clocked the subtle camber on the design in the file - so that went well :) I look to be 10 - 15 degrees out. What's the correct adjustment to match it to an axis.

• The 9250 was in my sights until someone recommended the bosh
    https://github.com/NordicSemiconductor/n­rf52-quadcopter

• @Ollie Argh, really? Sorry about that - my 3D printer's not up to it so I just sent it away and never noticed it was off-axis.

I did the original designs, but then Seeed re-did them in STP because they thought that's what was needed for the moulds. I haven't had time to dig around in the STP yet but you could probably export a new one directly from the STP if needed? If you do it'd be great if you could give me a PR?

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Please post what you're working on!

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions