Is this board okay?

Posted on
  • Hi,
    I am thinking of running Espruino on an esp8266 board.
    These are my two favourite boards on that I have found on Amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/Elecrow-ESP8266-M­odule-Battery-Charging/dp/B01DEQI4W2/ref­=s9_simh_gw_g147_i1_r?_encoding=UTF8&fpl­=fresh&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf­_rd_r=YT6SEMB9GHPWYSX5KM8V&pf_rd_t=36701­&pf_rd_p=a6aaf593-1ba4-4f4e-bdcc-0febe09­0b8ed&pf_rd_i=desktop
    https://www.amazon.com/Adafruit-2821-Fea­ther-HUZZAH-ESP8266/dp/B019MGW6N6/ref=sr­_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1485821160&sr=­1-1-catcorr&keywords=esp8266+feather
    If I flash Espruino on any of these boards, will the pin numbers be all jumbled up?
    like, since the pinouts are different, I won't be able to use the same pinouts as on the real espruino, will I? Will GPIO pins even work on these boards?

• Hello @user73202,

will the pin numbers be all jumbled up?

To clarify, as I'm sure others will need to know before they respond, by "jumbled up", did you mean is there a one-to-one match between the header pinout on the board you plan on purchasing and the Espruino pinout as from the header; or, did you mean will the GPIO# still match even when at a different header position? e.g. are they mapped the same - Is GPIO5 still GPIO5?

I also am new to the Espruinosphere, and had tremendous results with this variant:
    https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-huzz­ah-esp8266-breakout/downloads
    (Note: Board came unpinned so be prepared to solder)

Carefully following the flash instructions http://www.espruino.com/ESP8266_Flashing­ allowed me to be up and running in under an hour.

Answering your question with this variant, all I can say is the AdaFruit variant pinout at the header does not match. This variant is also a trimmed down version having fewer GPIO pins available at the header.

I was just seeking a simple play toy and wanted to experiment with the WiFi over-the-air programming rather than being tied to the USB port via a cable. Once flash programmed, I've been testing code without the USB cable attached. Running as an access point and as a web server. Pretty cool!

At the moment, I'm still waiting myself for the same answer to toggling a single GPIO pin to power an LED sanity test. http://forum.espruino.com/conversations/­299480/#comment13445860
    On a hunch, I'm going to say yes to your last question.

I know that waiting for a response from the team does keep one patiently waiting, I thought I'd pass along some tid-bits in the mean time.

Good luck, Have fun, and Hope this helped in the mean time.
    Robin

• I know that waiting for a response from the team does keep one patiently waiting, I thought I'd pass along some tid-bits in the mean time.
    Please be aware that the official espruino boards are supported by @Gordon

Ports to other boards such as the esp8266 are supported under open source software - I.e people volunteering their time, so replies might be instantaneous! Sorry if this reads as harsh - it's not intended to be!

• Thanks man!
    Yeah, I was meaning if there was a one-to-one match between the espruino software pinouts and the board's.
    Thanks for the great advice!
    I'm making a weather logger as a project to submit, I'm just a high schooler, so yeah my projects are kinda "nooby."

• Tue 2017.01.31

Hello @user73202, thank you for the clarification.

I'm sure you checked this out, http://www.espruino.com/Pico but just in case, does this pictorial provide some clarification, comparing the software pin labels to the board you intended on purchasing?

You used the phrase 'high schooler' which typically is representative of the education system here in the USA and not that over in Europe. Would that be an accurate assessment?

As you haven't provided much detail on project requirements and a due date, a 'Weather Logger' project, depending on the desired functionality, could be quite an intermediate undertaking and certainly not 'nooby' as you describe. Don't sell yourself short. Quite an admirable choice, indeed.

Have you considered doing a step-by-step picture or video blog and posting it to social media to add bonus points to the overall project? Heck, why not post here with some links to pics and vids as I'm sure others will appreciate your work and recognize your effort.

If you haven't been cautioned yet, when you pruchase your electronic modules, make sure you verify the voltage requirement of each before you buy online. Quick read each data sheet to verify, for should you wire a 3.3v device to a 5.0v supply, you will quickly learn you have just used up an expensive fuse, as you watch your purchase go up in smoke. While NOT plugged in, wire first, take a break, re-check your work then plug in the supply. Some components and modules might be a bit more forgiving than others, but no sense wasting hard earned money. This also applies to USB ports on PCs. While they may provide a 5.0v supply, one cannot keep adding parts to the project expecting the USB port to comply. ~500ma is about max for USB 2. Add up the current requirements, to determine the battery needs if portability was on your mind, or the minimum for a wallwort and voltage regulator.
    Just my 0.02 worth.

Should you choose to complete this project, which I hope you will, I'll stay clued in to this forum to provide some guidance, should you run into a snag. Not going to do your work for you, but I and others may be able to shed some light on the direction you take. Give some consideration to the 'Pico' as mentioned by @Wilberforce in the previous post. I purchased both the original Espruino and the Pico and liked the ability to just plug the Pico into a USB port without a cable and I was up and running.

Best of luck and please keep us informed.
    Robin

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Is this board okay?

Posted by Avatar for BootySnorkeler @BootySnorkeler

Actions