• ...btw, cannot see the #XX post...

Did look at some boards hanging around and at the RC522 chip... to try to derive the rational for the sequence of the signals on the pin header. Routing (most of) the (significant) signal lines straight forward to the pin header is a good rational for the signal pin sequence

• RST
    • MISO
    • MOSI
    • SCK
    • CS/SSN/SDA
    • IRQ

as you can take from attached screen shot. Usually there is not much variation... taking a closer you can actually visually trace the routing / traces from the chip pins to the header pins. Take a closer look at your board and you can confirm. Zoom into the attached picture and you the fine, dotted, orange lines marking the routing for MISO, MOSI, SCK, and CS/SSN/SDA, and the yellow ones indicating the pin and pin function silk screen. (I know that you have a different board... but I' confident that it is not a high-tech (4..6 layer) board hat has front and back top planes covered with all ground for RF reasons and 'hiding' the routing of the signal lines in between these two outermost layers...

Something I noticed in many of the usages is connecting the RST to a pin and do a software driven reset before talking to the board... You might do that too. Usually though, an open reset is pulled up by the chip itself. You can take any PICO pin you have left, connect it and use this code:

function onInit() {
    var resetPin = <yourResetPinChoice> // for example A0
    resetPin.reset();
    setTimeout(function(){
      resetPin.set();
      setTimeout(function(){
        // here goes all your code
      }, 100);
    }, 10 );

There are better ways to do this for permanent implementation, but it is good enough for figuring out.

Something from your post #5 raises concerns:

... Vdd rail is 3.2v and the 5v rail is 4.8v. I switched USB ports and found all three are 4.8v

Why could you read 4.8V on all three? I hope the VCC (3.3v) pin of the MFRC522 break out board was not a member of all three. This could have fried something... for example happened to with a different device specified for 3.3v, when a bread board cable got loose and hit the 5V (4.8V / USB) supplied rail. Interestingly, only a part of the chip was gone - unfortunately it was the essential one. I still could read/write registers, read the configuration info and chip id, but the core function of the chip was enjoying freedom from commands in lala land... :x[. I hope it is just a misreading of your post.

1 Attachment

• MRFC522BoardPinDesignRational.png
  • Sun 2017.01.29

@allObjects

Why could you read 4.8V on all three? I hope the VCC (3.3v) pin of the MFRC522 break out board was not a member of all three.

To clarify, the PC I powered the Pico with has three USB ports. Using each one at a time, showed a consistent 4.8v sourced. I always wired with the USB plug, unplugged, so there was never any moment when the 3.3v pin would have come in contact with 5v Vcc

I know that you have a different board... but I' confident that it is not a high-tech (4..6 layer) board hat has front and back top planes covered with all ground for RF reasons and 'hiding' the routing of the signal lines in between these two outermost layers...

Checked the board closely and while power is supplied through shielded 10 gauge solid wire to a screw down terminal block, I have in fact a 16 multi-layer board with 23 through hole feeds, most likely to connect the internal Bluetooth, WiFi, GPS and Puck magnetometer sensor. How did they get all those working parts in a PCB board so small? hmmmmmmmm . . . .

I missed fig 3 of section 7 of the spec. Your image detail puts into perspective the relative position of the MOSI and MISO pins. The dark green color of the conformal coat covering the board make it difficult to make out, but not impossible after two ales. I agree with your assessment that the parallel diagonal traces don't cross, so their connection to the header should be in the same relative order. Given that, it can only mean that the silk screen on this board is in fact accurate and the data page at the supplier of the reversed pins is of an earlier board release perhaps.

But, that makes my situation more perplexing. Since in order to have acceptable triggering, I had to cross connect MOSI to MISO and had many more triggerings using the tutorial code. When connected MOSI to MOSI, there are never any trigger events. So what is a person to do? The code shouldn't work with the data lines crossed, but it mysteriously does. As I started out in the initial post, don't open packages that arrive on Fri the 13th!

I'm at the point where shipping costs to return the KeyeStudio item for an even exchange are prohibitive and with the messing around one has to do re-packaging, purchasing a competitor product entails yet another 3-4 wk wait plus shipping costs.

Looks like I got stung on this, and stung big time.

About

Avatar for allObjects @allObjects started