Web Bluetooth Landing Page

Posted on
  • Thanks to @daphtdazz's work we now have Web Bluetooth on iOS - so you can control Puck.js directly from a Web Page on your phone/tablet.

So... If you went to a webpage when you first got your Puck, what would you want on it?

I'm thinking:

• Some kind of Playground at the top, with switches for the LEDs, a light for the button, and a meter for light level
    • A link to the Web IDE
    • Links to other examples and users' code that could be uploaded (the night light, reaction game, compass, etc)

Any thoughts? Does anyone know of any good looking button/light widgets (kind of like Blynk has)

• battery level maybe?

• This may be overkill, but I had an idea for something like Chrome Experiments meets JSFiddle for Puck.js. Where you can browse interesting projects and examples, try them out on your puck right away, and then edit the code. And easily add your own experiments/projects to the collection.

But that sounds like a lot of work :)

What I'd want to see on puck-js.com/go is an initial example that's super easy but immediately demonstrates how fun it can be. For example, after connecting, simply hit the button and something magical happens on the page. Maybe not unicorns and rainbows, but something crazy would be fun.

Then, being mightily impressed, I'd like to be able to write some code myself, and see what other people are making. So there has to be links to the Web IDE and some good examples.

But rather than just linking to examples, maybe having a short presentation of each? That way it's easier to get an impression of what they actually do, and what's possible to make with Puck.js.

• It would be nice as well, not as the actual landing page but perhaps linked from it, to have a page which runs a bunch of unittest against the API, so that you can navigate to it from different bluetooth enabled browsers and see whether and to what extent they conform or not. A bit like http://html5test.com or something. Basically I'm trying to avoid doing all that boring testing stuff myself.

Maybe Google has got something already they could share...

• @François is there a Bluetooth LE test page? I know there are a bunch of separate examples/tests online, but it would be cool if there was one page that tested as much of the BLE API as it could (obviously requestDevice needs user input so wouldn't be easily testable).

@Joakim sounds like a good idea - I'd probably do what I usually do and just allow people to add their experiment to a list of stuff with a GitHub pull request, but we could definitely have a list of examples.

Anyone have any thoughts about an initial demo? Obviously lights/etc - potentially I could embed the Graphical editor version of the Web IDE?

• @Gordon There's not one single web page strictly speaking that allows you test the Web Bluetooth API. For now, the best you can have is available at https://googlechrome.github.io/samples/w­eb-bluetooth/

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Web Bluetooth Landing Page

Posted by Avatar for Gordon @Gordon

Actions