You are reading a single comment by @user70843 and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Yeah, I was guilty of being deliberately provocative given the original post :)

I actually love Java, and have done a huge amount of work with it. I've found it amazingly nice to write, and surprisingly fast. I'd argue that with the profiling tools available it's often easier to make something faster in Java than it is with C++.

It's a much nicer language than JavaScript, and would have been much more pleasant for me to write an interpreter for :)

So it's a bit depressing for me to see it not taking off. I guess you could argue that it has had a massive effect as part of Dalvik in Android though.

It's still used in a lot of things, and as you say still very heavily in industry. I feel like JavaScript is probably overtaking Java in new projects though, and the language popularity graphs I can find seem to show the Java usage is very high, but has 'plateaued'.

• Thanks, Gordon.
    As I pointed out I try to be 'colour blind' on the aspect which one is better or worse. My point is that the original aim of Oracle's Java platform independence, which has lured so many developers in the 80-ies and 90-ties, has been successful on the device development, and has even moved itself successfully to, for instance, the BD specifications. If that is a good thing or not is open for debate.
    Yet, I don't think my car understands JavaScript, apart from the build in Webbrowser. But Java might've found it's way to more system critical system, where I seriously shudder in awe at the thought of that.

About

Avatar for user70843 @user70843 started