Fritzing schematics for espruino/module sites?

Posted on
  • just curious, does anyone here see some value in providing Fritzing circuit schematics on espruino/module pages like this one here (see attachment)

i would be scratching my head with these wires (if you have tips for better sorted wires i would like to know)

1 Attachment

• Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 21.27.24.png
  • I think this would be very valuable. It's visual. Especially helpful on the peripheral side when looking at new stuff where the pin references might not be so familiar.

• Yes, absolutely. I guess for now, uploading the images (and fritzing files) into the directory names would work ok, and maybe later on I could do something fancier with the fritzing files (not sure what :).

If you control-click the wires (i think?) and drag, you can make them curved, which might help? I still find Fritzing itself very hard to work with.

• one interesting part is the parts list, maybe you could use such lists and affiliate links (amazon is not the cheapest for electronic parts though, are there other partner programs e.g. with uk based electronic shops?) or link e.g. to your tindie store

a cool thing could be, code and schematic side by side view, where hovering over a connected espruino pin highlights the pin on the code side, i will try that out (should be easy, it's SVG and some javascript)

If you control-click the wires (i think?) and drag, you can make them
    curved

will try that, but for me nice diagrams work better without curved wire connections

• maybe you could use affiliate links

Yes, I'd hoped to try and sort something out based on the 'what you need' list and buy links on the Espruino site, but to be honest I never found anyone interested apart from DigitalMeans who at least added some links to their shop.

After Puck.js ships I'll probably try and spend a bit more time on tutorials and making fun stuff, moving more towards videos (because I can post them in Hackster/Instructables/etc). If there's enough demand from that then I'll probably start selling kits here - it might be a good way to grow Espruino a bit more while actually helping everyone out.

a cool thing could be, code and schematic side by side

Hmm, nice idea... there's actually already some code in EspruinoDocs (i think) that scans all the .md files for code and tries to create the links under 'Examples' in the reference. It's using Tern, which does some nice code analysis - it might be you could hook onto the info from that to find out where to link from the code. That way stuff like var PIN = A5; PIN.set() would still link up.

In fact if you're up for a challenge then dynamically loading tern and adding proper tooltips with explanation (like is done for the Web IDE) would be amazing. To be honest you could probably do it pretty easily - just steal the Web IDE code, and when you click some icon on the code view you replace the whole thing with a read only Codemirror instance and it's job done.

• If you place the Pico correctly onto the breadboard, you don't need to do wires from Pico pin hole to breadboard (you should see the light green indicators around the breadboard holes). From breadboard to peripheral module it's "the art of routing" ;-)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Fritzing schematics for espruino/module sites?

Posted by Avatar for MichaelPralow @MichaelPralow

Actions