• To my understanding, bonjour/zeroconf is the notion that one can find the IP address of a device on a TCP/IP network using "multicast DNS". The idea being that the device may have a dynamic IP address obtained through DHCP but we have client applications that wish to connect to it. Since it doesn't have a static IP address, we need a mechanism to determine its IP address at runtime. Multicast DNS allows a client to broadcast a request to locate a specific named device. If ESP8266 supported multicast DNS (which it does), then it would determine that a request to locate it was being made and it would broadcast a response with its own current IP address. This would be received by the original requestor (and as a side effect .. possibly other devices) and a normal TCP/IP connection could progress.

While the raw ESP8266 provides support for multicast DNS, I can't remember whether or not that was exposed through Espruino. If it was, then we are good to go. If it wasn't, then a change request would have to be made through Github to see if it could be added.

As for implementing a Web Service, I'm am assuming you mean a REST client or server ... using JSON over an HTTP request. That can be achieved using Espruino today.

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started