You are reading a single comment by @electronicsguy and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @Gordon Great work on the new board Gordon. My 2 cents: Running an espruino board from a battery pack is definitely something I'd love. It makes it very convenient to place it in the field where you can't/don't run any power supply. (Do the power lines have decoupling caps?)

I just saw the shims on Tindie and I think I'll purchase that to start off with. They +esp8266 seem like the perfect combo to me. Agreed there are many variants of esp8266, but the esp-01 with it's features packed in a small size is ideal for so many applications.

• @Gordon - cool - so is that pin spacing and pinout final then? If it is, I'd like to know in time to get some project boards designed for it and ordered so I can jump on that when it becomes available. How far apart are the rows of pins?

@electronicsguy
    The other Espruino boards have had caps on the power rails - though not big ones, obviously, due to space constraints. Like many, I'm a big proponent of BFC's (also, caps on the supply rails that are there for power supply filtering are usually referred to as such, while "decoupling" is reserved for ones placed close to a specific part to deal with it's current spikes, those caps are often smaller, as the smaller caps respond better to the sharp spikes in current typical of digital circuitry)

The ESP-01?! That one sucks! It only brings out 8 pins and they come with the small flash on it, so they're much less suited to reprogramming. They don't have a shield on them, so the radiate EM noise and are almost certainly not FCC compliant. The antenna is also inferior to the ones on more sophisticated modules like ESP-12, resulting in poorer range. I think the ESP-12 is the best package - you get all the pins, plus a better antenna, they come with the larger flash chip, and it's got castellated pads so you can easily incorporate it into a board design.

About