You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • The idea is just to always have a set of charged batteries - whenever I go to use NiMH they seem to be almost flat, and the 2 main things I use them for now (head torch and mice) take only 1 or 3 batteries, whereas the chargers I have all charge in pairs.

The cycling does still seem to help with NiMH that haven't been used for a while (I see the amount of charge they hold rising after each cycle), so I think it does help - it's just not as drastic as on NiCd.

With LiPo, I think you still have to be careful. I've definitely got a few 18650 without protection, because I guess they still use them like that in Laptops/etc? I did wire a JST connector on to one and then plug it into something with a short on it accidentally, and the wires just vapourised in my fingers. There's a ridiculous amount of power in them.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone make a small, multi-cell LiPo charger PCB? I've got a load of power tools with dead batteries that I'd like to LiPo-ify, but the only chargers I can find that I could stick inside the battery pack are single-cell.

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started