You are reading a single comment by @DrAzzy and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Hello!

As a preface,I don't know a huge amount about micro computing etc... don't worry about giving too much of a tutorial in response though ( probably a bit unfair and also in the wrong place )

I'm currently looking for something that:

• Is wifi enabled
    • Is small
    • Is cheap
    • Can run as a Web Server/Service Ideally would run node.js but running a JS enviroment is fine.
    • Is easy to power and leave running.
    • Can accept input from sensor modules, hopefully switch relays. ( i think there's something to do with 5v vs 3.xV here but as i say i'm very fresh to this)

Am i right in thinking this board will be good at all of these things?

Also, a bit cheeky perhaps but i don't think this will be suitable as a node.js solution... is there something you could recommend for this. (if it helps counter the cheekiness, i am highly likely to purchase many of these modules for the JS environment)

• I think this board is pretty close to what you're looking for.
    It is small, and will be wifi enabled via the attached ESP8266 wifi module. I don't know what Gordon plans to charge.
    Espruino takes a lot of conventions from existing javascript platforms. I'm not really well versed in node.js, but I hear it mentioned a lot on here.

No harder or easier to power than any other board?

The chip Gordon is using - I think - will have all 5v tolerant pins, so even though it runs at 3.3v, you can put them into open drain mode and pull them up to 5v, and/or let them see a 5v signal.

You should never drive a relay directly from the pin of a microcontroller - you can sometimes get away with it, but it can damage the chip over time, and is poor practice. Like any load expected to pull more than 20 mA or so, you should have the microcontroller driving a transistor that will actually switch the relay. Many (but unfortunately, not all) relay modules marketed for hobby use do this correctly.

That all said - there's an Espruino port (still in beta) to the ESP8266 itself (by comparison, the Espruino WiFi board will use an STM32 chip, plus an ESP8266 just for the wifi. The ESP8266 is small, insanely cheap, wifi enabled (obviously) and can run Espruino. The memory is very limited though for Espruino-on-ESP8266, as is what is possible due to the limits of the ESP8266 chip - so it's only suitable for a very small project.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started