• Hi, just some observations from the peanut gallery:

I believe a great starting point would be Gordon's suggestion of a Raspian/Debian (hopefully jessie-based) image that booted directly into espruino. If it had a kernel driver for time accuracy, and maybe a template for adding other drivers, it would be a very simple step for the rpi community. Even more important, I, for one, would pay for that (say the cost of a pico) assuming it had been optimized (or maybe cleaned up a bit is a better term) for espruino. BTW, I now run node on my rpi model Bs.

I think it would be most attractive if it runs on any of the various berries and could use the espruino modules that already exist. An RT implementation might go a long way towards making it distinctive, but that could perhaps be phased in later if there were enough interest. A full development system (ie using the WebIDE from a browser) would be the rpi philosophy, though I must admit I do not find my rpi model Bs fast enough to use for Arduino development (yes they work; I just need faster turn-around when I am coding).

One last comment: I think the rpi has demonstrated that it is not necessary to "hide" linux to make the system attractive. Programming is the primary application of the rpi, so an easy entry point, and lots of examples, help and support from the community for learning clearly works. From my perspective, community is one of the strong points of the rpi and espruino as well.

If you are looking for a non-hardware method to support espruino, maybe adding this kind of platform makes sense. At the very least, it will not require the upfront investment that a new hardware board demands.

Sorry if this is viewed as "highjacking" the topic since it does not deal specifically with the rpiZ. Under 10 dollar hardware seems to be the trend, but for me it mostly means that hardware costs become an ever smaller factor in the development cost with a new platform.

About

Avatar for dgustavus @dgustavus started