• With the release of the Pi Zero (https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspber­ry-pi-zero/) with a retail price of $5 ... I can't help but feel that we are witnessing a significant change.

How about we port Espruino to Pi Zero?

But wait, you are going to say ... the Pi Zero is a Linux system which already has production quality free JavaScript environments ... it has Node.js and Nashorn ... just to name a few. Why port Espruino to Pi Zero?

The answer is a twist ... my suggestion is not to port Espruino onto Pi Zero on top of Linux ... but instead port Espruino to run on Pi Zero natively. Specifically, Pi Zero would have a firmware image that boots from SD card directly into Espruino .... period. No Linux in sight ... just 1 GHz processor, 512MBytes of RAM, SD card FAT32 file system, GPIOs, UART, I2C, SPI, PWM and ADC ... all "just available". WiFi would be handled in the same way that non-WiFi enabled Espruino boards would be handled today. There would be no Video or USB support (in the first release) ....

However, what it would do is appear to provide the most robust environment for only $5 at a performance level that would appear to be unbeatable in the current time frame.

Does anyone see any merit in this? $5 for a 1GHZ, 512MByte, SD card based Espruino environment?

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started