• While working on the ESP8266 port of Espruino, we came across requests for driving WS2811, WS2812 and other NeoPixel devices. Unfortunately, hardware ESP8266 support for SPI or I2C isn't there yet. However, others in un-related ESP8266 projects have pioneered correct driving of NeoPixels using C and Assembler. These code snippets can easily be incorporated into Espruino builds as new modules. For example:

var neopixel = require("NeoPixel"); // This is made up and not real.... don't try it
    neopixel.write(D1, [r1, g1, b1, r2, g2, b2, ...]);

However, just because we can do something ... never means we should. Now we have a community and project owner question. What should we do about the (hopefully few) modules that need to be implemented in the Espruino base code in C?

These are the choices I see:

1) We bake it into Espruino ... it is just "there" for folks to use ... it increases the firmware size by an amount but we live with it. (I think the WS2812 code came out to be an increase of about 150-200 bytes).

2) We don't bake it into Espruino ... but leave it in the "source" such that a custom build could be attempted by those who wish to make a custom build containing the code.

3) As (2) but multiple firmware builds are distributed for each release ... some with features and some without.

4) We don't accommodate function into Espruino that isn't "obviously" going to be used by the vast majority of Espruino users.

Let's open this up for discussion and see what we, as a community, think and can come up with. Maybe there are other ideas or solutions? However, lets be practical ... ideas such as "Let us create a build server where a custom Espruino build can be generated on demand based upon a user's selection" sure sounds awesome ... but multiply the number of boards and environments ... and monies ... that might be needed for that ... it isn't likely to fly ... and ... if it did, chances are we would have to fall back to one of the simpler ideas so that function could be delivered before such a "build machine" became practical and then we might be back at the start again.

Besides NeoPixel support, what have others heard of that might require "native C" support within Espruino?

About

Avatar for Kolban @Kolban started