Bricked my Pico : (

Posted on
  • I bricked my pico by running f.erasePage(); just like that without any parameters, I can't figure out how to wire it up so I can talk to the serial port, what do I have to do?

I've penciled over the jumper on the back, I need to hold the button to bring that one to 3.3 correct and BOOT1 ends up at ground automatically on the pico?

http://www.espruino.com/Pico <--- it suggests that there's multiple pins connected to USART1? But the wiring diagram implies that I actually have to connect to TX to USB+ and RX to A10?

Have no idea what's going on honestly, just want my pico back : (

• Argh, I'll fix that for the next release - thanks for letting me know.

When you said bricked I assumed you'd totally fried it. This isn't the end of the world at all - you just need to reflash the bootloader with DFU as you say.

I've pencilled over the jumper on the back, I need to hold the button to bring that one to 3.3 correct and BOOT1 ends up at ground automatically on the pico?

Yep, that's right.

the wiring diagram implies that I actually have to connect to TX to USB+ and RX to A10?

It's actually easier than that, no wiring required :)

The Pico's bootloader is USB DFU, so you just run the DFU tool (in that link above) and it'll update the firmware straight over USB :)

Just make sure you plug the Pico in with the button held down immediately before running the DFU tool. I think the boards only stay in DFU mode for about 30 secs after you plug them in.

• I've done my best to get it to work but it doesn't seem like it's functioning correctly. I used DfuFileMgr.exe with the multi BIN option to write the *.bin I downloaded to a *.dfu file. (address 0x0800000) and then I wrote the DFU file using the DfuSe Demo. Plugging the board in causes the red led to flash briefly now which wasn't happening before, and once I'd removed the graphite bridging the pins on the back plugging in while holding down the button results in both the red and green leds going on continuously. Unfortunately the board doesn't seem to be detected in either case. : (

• Hmm, sounds like a USB connection problem - could it be the cable or something? It might just be that your PC has got confused and needs restarting?

• Red flash is great - and means Espruino has got past the hardware initialisation phase
    • Red and green on constantly is the bootloader saying it's initialised, but it hasn't been able to connect via USB. When it's connected it'll be oscillating between the two
  • ...red/green light patterns remind me the PC beeps... Is there some general doc where (by process / taks) these patterns are published?

Publication has not to be API style public - or at least the ones you would not like to declare a an API.

• I'm using the same cable I used for the DFU firmware upgrade, but I've also tried a different cable. Since last posting I also went back and put the chip into DFU mode again just to see if that works and it still does. I've restarted my computer a couple times as well. No luck connecting at all. :' (

• Strange - are you sure you sent the correct binary to it? The one for the Pico 1v3, and not for some other board like the original Espruino?

• Yup, I've tried espruino_1v76_pico_1r3_cc3000.bin, espruino_1v80_pico_1r3_cc3000.bin, and espruino_1v80_pico_1r3_wiznet.bin actually, all result in the same behavior. Also the constant glowing LEDS turn off if I press the button a second time, not sure if that's relevant.

• Hmm, that all sounds like the correct behaviour - like the board itself is actually working fine but isn't able to connect via USB.

... but that's odd, because USB must work in order for you to be able to upload via DFU?

Honestly I'm not sure what to suggest here. I'm kind of wondering whether if you got a new Pico you'd have the exact same problem with it.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Bricked my Pico : (

Posted by Avatar for errantspark @errantspark

Actions