You are reading a single comment by @the1laz and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @Gordon - the two 5x2 male headers both have power, shared i2c,2 digital pins, 2 analog pins, a shared pin for interrupts and another shared pin. I initially made an ATMEGA328 board with an identical header layout, for using around the house for sensors and small projects. The idea is that peripherals or breakout boards will all use the same 5x2 pinout so that I can easily switch up processor boards or connect different things to them without having to resolder, redesign, have tumbleweed wires or any other issues.

For example, I have a sprinkler controller that has the processor board connected with the 5x2 to a storage board that has all the power regulators, relay, lipo management connected. Now I can replace it with a board running espruino if I want, or add a flowmeter and soil moisture measurement to the other header without disturbing anything.

@alexanderbrevig - they're pretty good, especially for initial prototypes and tiny boards (like adaptors that are only a couple of square centimetres). They were prompt and the boards are great quality. I think I'll usually go somewhere else if I want 10+ boards, but they're really good value for your first run where you just want to see if it all works, if you've made any mistakes, or if you'd like to improve the design.

As for that female 5x2 header, that's not for a dual-processor setup. (although, I have been wondering about a good system for hooking up multiple-processor projects. Eg, espruino board, esp8266 wifi and separate stm32 driving graphics...) that header is an SPI + ISP header. It has all the spi pins, plus a couple for for chip selects, etc. plus NRST. The layout is suitable for slotting an NRF24L01+ straight in. The board is designed to be a very compact and capable sensor node. :)

About

Avatar for the1laz @the1laz started