• Are you using espruino-tools to upload to the Espruino, or something else? That'll automatically handle modules in the same way the Web IDE does.

I'm re-writing the USB comms as part of the USB HID stuff - the F4's USB code does seem to have some issues, and I think node.js pushes USB data out in larger blocks, which makes it more likely that there will be problems. Hopefully in a few weeks the next firmware update will have totally solid USB comms.

I'm not planning on a version with ESP8266 built in though - it's enough of a pain producing all the firmware builds I do right now, and I don't want to make more work for myself :)

I do want to make sure there's a good, reliable, easy to use command-line tool though - and hopefully that will solve the majority of your problems.

Works now, with a CIPSTART failed now and then.

What did you change to get it to work? Was it wiring?

A blue flash at startup is good - it shows the ESP8266 has booted into the firmware and has output some information.

• I used to just use screen on my mac, which now seemed even more tempting since i don't need a cable anymore. "Just talk to the chip", basically, seems really cool to me.

So far (a year ago) I just pasted the minified js code and saved it. Using addCached for the Modules. Worked fine. Saving is an
    awesome feature, too.

However on the original Espruino pasting worked fine with flow control/buffering for me. The new one stops somewhere in the middle when pasting larger code pieces

since it's going via serial lines: Do we have/can we expect to have a functionality to send. Checksummed code, maybe in chunks, and join them on the board again? Or is there already something that works with the Web IDE that can be re-used? While it mostly worked fine there was always that bad feeling that something could have been changed during transfer. I could use echo to check each input, but that seems a bit to much feedback.

For the current problem, I have no idea. I ripped everything apart and talked to both sides vie USB-UART. Then reassembled. Then it worked. Bad wiring/breadboard, can't really say.

Something bordering on esotericism was to draw RST explicitely to Vcc. Of course it worked without that as well afterwards. So... At least the bug was expelled.

About