• Could I use something like this: instead of USB to power my espruino pico?

• Yes
    You don't even need to power it via the USB, you could also power it by connecting it to BAT_IN and the GND pin(the two front pins), as long as the input voltage is ≥ 3.5 & ≤ 16v!

On-board 3.3v 250mA voltage regulator, accepts voltages from 3.5v to 16v

• Absolutely. There are also pads provided on the underside of the Pico for the commonly used JST connectors (or you can just solder wires onto the pads for it).

Just make sure you get the right ones - this has been a real challenge for people, me included. JST connectors exist in many sizes and varieties that look identical in pictures online, but are not the same.

• @DrAzzy Do you mean this one: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1769 ?

I would need some for myself because currently I'm using one which I got from a extension cable but it doesn't have the pins to solder.

• No, no, that one doesn't even look right...

• Do you mean this one: http://adafruit.com/products/1769 ?

That looks perfect to me? See the image below. It's the 'standard' LiPo connector - if you buy pretty much anything LiPo-related from Adafruit then it'll have that connector on it.

@DrAzzy, why do you think it's not right?

1 Attachment

• pico_jst.jpg
  • Woah, from the pic, it looked like the pins were under the body of the connector, and that they're event any on the back. I totally called that wrong. I'm clearly not a good judge of jst connectors. When trying to get the things that plug into those, it took me three orders.

• Finding the correct jst connectors is an art. I'm not very good at it, as evidenced by my big box of assorted jst connectors... but I got some in the end!

• Ya, same. Just last night I used a wrong connector as a power connector for something else (I'd gotten male+female pre-wired sets of wrong connectors).

• It didn't help that one of the suppliers (I can't remember which now) didn't know either and had been sending the wrong connectors :)

I think at some point I'll have to branch out into selling extras to go along with the Pico/Espruino - and when I do that I'll make sure that JST connectors are one of them :)

• @Gordon, you could go down the same avenue as the creator of http://www.TheLedCube.com/ guy: He keeps focus on his key element(s) - the board(s) - and pairs up with a supplier who knows what it's doing. No distraction and it works. Of course, one would like delivery from closer locations than HKG, but the way he set it up, it's obviously working and it keeps things at a fair price... It's just sad that even tough there are already many close by suppliers, they have a hard time to get it right.

• Yes... I do try and link to the actual product page for suppliers of stuff to do with Espruino - I'm happy to add more links as well if it seems like I missed something... I should probably do something where it tells you where the suppliers are located too.

Suppliers of JST female connectors are listed here but I'll make sure I move that to the Battery page, link it from the Pico, and also add some links for the male connectors

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino Pico: Can I power it via battery instead of USB?

Posted by Avatar for user55151 @user55151

Actions