Espruino Pico in windows 8.1 pro unrecognised

Posted on
  • Hi Everyone,
    I received my Kickstarter Espruino Pico board today, too much excitement!
    I followed the instructions carefully on the quick start webpage, particularly the windows 8.1 drivers instructions.

*** Windows 8.1 and XP Users: Windows XP and 8.1 do not appear to have generic drivers for USB CDC devices, so you'll have to get them from ST via st.com/web/en/catalog/tools/PF257938. You'll have to unzip the file, run the executable, and then go to C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\Software\Virtua­l comport driver in Windows Explorer and double-click either dpinst_amd64.exe for 64 bit systems ***

However the Espruino pico board in windows 8.1 pro version is still showing as unrecognised.
    When I plug in the board into the usb socket, holding the test button, I see dancing red and green leds pulsing.
    So its working, but not showing up as a usb drive or port etc.
    In Device manager, under com ports, I see listed:
    STMicroelectronics Virtual COM Port (COM5).
    Location Port_0007 hub 0003

So apart from receiving a nice shiny addition to my usb port with disco lights, it don't do much:(

Any ideas?

• Did you install and start the Espruino Web IDE in Chrome?

In the IDE in top left corner, you see a yellow/kaki Connect icon. Clicking/tapping it shows you the list of USB ports, from which you pick the one that obviously got successfully installed.

The Connect icon will turn green, and in the console, Espruino will print a banner including the installed firmware.

Espruino is now at you service!

PS: This button press on or briefly after plugging in/powering on is only for reset or flash. You do not need that to just get Espruino connected and talking to the IDE.

• Thank You that was as easy as you described.
    I was using Apple Safari as my default browser.

Let the fun begin:) Thanks again !

• Just on the side, Apple haven't made a build of Safari for Windows since 2012, it's not safe to use it.

• Thanks for that. I have been using Safari as its already default on my Iphone with the IOS, so I installed it on my PC also, I found the Apple Safari reading list function very handy for study etc. You are correct though, I had not noticed it was not updated recently. I just deleted it and will see if I like google chrome instead.

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

Espruino Pico in windows 8.1 pro unrecognised

Posted by Avatar for KrumblySG @KrumblySG

Actions