• @Joakim I've only ever done one board before (on my own) and the previous one was the organ pedal thingy (using through hole and parts from my existing parts bins only). I've soldered together SMTs before for protos and such (kits and breakout boards), I did those with my soldering iron. I was surprised to find it's very easy with good solder! Check out EEVBlog SMT Soldering Tutorial

if you haven't already :)

The hardware guy over at wiring.co uses OSH Stencils and likes them enough to recommend them to me. I'll probably try them for the passive summer project, and let you know what I think!

I do not think it's a bad idea to go straight for SMT for your first board. I say go for it!

We have one of these Reflow Ovens and I'll post my experiences probably in another thread. I also considered one of the T962s that has an insanely low price (there seems to be some consensus that it's not quite good enough as a plug and play device - as this will be my first reflow experience I didn't want to risk being scared away by using bad equipment (though the STMmax is in no way a very expensive or 'good' product, but probably sufficient to get going).

Also, we should definitely grab a beer soon. Maybe visit BitRaf too?

@DrAzzy I agree, SMT is just as easy or easier. As you've already pointed out in another comment; choosing friendlier footprints would be nice when planning to do a few boards with an iron for instance. Though as Gordon pointed out, a good board with a good resist layer will reflow nicely (at least it seems that way from the videos I've watched). I'll post in here when I've tried some boards using stencil + oven. Wish me luck, I need it!

@mhoneywill I've not tried DesignSpark enough to have any opinions about it other than I found it painful to make footprints for parts that are not in their library. I use Altium Designer and KiCAD most now. I also liked DipTrace when I tested that, and I find upverter very interesting.
    I don't like Eagle, but I do know how to use it enough to get around when browsing projects that uses Eagle - in the Open Source space it seems to be a standard.

About