RF modules (LoRa et al)

Posted on
Page
of 2
Prev
/ 2
  • Assuming DASH7 is used, wouldn't OSS-7 on a CC430 be just that?

@alexanderbrevig Btw, are you using OSS-7 on the CC430?

• @Joakim Glad you found my POC interesting :) Yes, the CC430 is using a modified version of star-push-endpoint and I also peeked somewhat to the sample code that you get access to when buying the WizziLab stuff.

The reason my development board has both the STM and the CC430 was so I could be guaranteed to show off both the JavaScript aspect of the product (through Espruino of course) and Dash7 (through OSS-7). I am still hoping to find a cheaper solution before making something intended for a paid user test, rather than a free one.

OSS-7 is not exactly self documenting, though I'm beginning to get a grasp around their ideas now.

@Gordon I can't believe I've not thought about the fact that using Dash7 on the STM would basically prevent it from going into sleep mode. Probably stuck with the need of having two processors then. As battery life is of importance I'll have to scratch my head a bit.

• As far as STM32 and sleep, you can still do pretty well - nothing stops you from waking from sleep on an interrupt, doing stuff, and then going back to sleep without Espruino running - which should still be pretty efficient especially if you can do what you want without powering up the external high speed oscillator.

Still, even having some basic decode in the receiver and a tiny FIFO (so no packet handling or anything) would bring the power consumption down drastically.

• @alexanderbrevig This might be too soon for me to ask... I was wondering how far you have gotten with the WizziMotes? I purchased a couple of panStamps, one for the Gateway and one to connect to the Espruino. The panStamps can be used as standalone, but I plan to communicate back and forth between the espruino and the panStamp either I2C or uart. I've gotten no where on utilizing AES encryption and gave up on the idea and resorted to your idea of off loading encryption to another chip. Since the panStamp does:

CTR is implemented in the CC430AES class, which is the cipher method
    used by SWAP. CTR, unlike some other methods, allows encrypting and
    decrypting variable-length packets. First four bytes from the packet
    (destination, source, hop/secu and nonce) are used as the initial
    nonce for the CTR algorithm.

I plan to program the panStamp to send any incoming packages to the espruino and vise verse. I shall see how that idea works. I don't have any of the boards yet and hope to receive them either this week or the next.

• I did some very crude range testing with the Appcon and got 800+ meters in urban environment on a rainy day with lots of trees & antenna at <1 meter. I would recommend the module for your own use but it's not CE marked or certified on the RF side. http://www.appconwireless.com/PRODUCTS/s­howproduct.php?lang=en&id=21

• Appcon wireless LoRa module RF1276 perform a good range test in the coast area. It get the 10km in Italy.
    http://iot.dataino.it/beta/view/site/lor­a-arduino-gps.html

• Just a quick update: There are now drivers for the SX1276 on Espruino.

They're still a bit rough, but it's enough to get the modules up and running and transferring data - so should be a good starting point for anyone looking at using LoRa (not LoRaWAN) with Espruino.

• Hi everybody,
    I work with the SX1272mb2das Module for implemented the LoRa protocol, I and i use a SEMTECH gateway with a server LoRa( IOT868STK ) but i can't configurated the gateway. there's someone there who work on a similar topic !! the links of the program :
    https://developer.mbed.org/users/swquin/­code/LoRaWAN-demo-72-bootcamp/file/d2844­1b09772/app

Thx for ur help :)

• Post a reply
    • Bold
    • Italics
    • Link
    • List
    • code
    • Preview
About

RF modules (LoRa et al)

Posted by Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy

Actions