You are reading a single comment by @DrAzzy and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • I have a question which may have already been answered, but this thread is already long and way over my head.

Could these chips be used instead of the microcontrollers internal memory to execute memory intensive code, to hopefully fix the out of memory issue while running a memory intensive script?

• Take a look at the writeup here, which has been updated to new version of the AT24 modules:

http://www.espruino.com/run_code_from_ee­prom

You can store code on the EEPROM, and then load it off the EEPROM and execute it immediately - so you still need the memory free to hold the function while it's running, but not any other time. That's what this does.

And you can of course write large blobs of data to the EEPROM, and then read it later when you need it - in this case, you're swapping stuff in and out of RAM.

You can't have it access the EEPROM like it can main memory - you'll always have to swap stuff in and out.

But these can help with it, by storing some function code on the EEPROM (in my projects, code is where much of my memory goes). It's probably significantly slower, making it best for code not frequently used.

About

Avatar for DrAzzy @DrAzzy started