You are reading a single comment by @asez73 and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Did the exact lines I gave you fix it? If so I'll commit them to GitHub.

Yes, the lines you gave fixed it.
    I pushed those changes and some minor cleanup around there.
    Since that, I think, you merged these in 1.72.

it's actually jshReset (I think?) that resets the pin state to an input if it was not defined.

Yes but those defines just swallow some init code of the serial inf structure if there are no RX and TX macros predefined in the board. However, this is now a closed issue.

it's not going to be fantastic I'm afraid!

Well, I hope to get a reasonable result with voltage regulator simply because I intend to shutdown the ESP8266 as soon as possible and power it up only when required. All of that being done by a GPIO, potentially some current limiting resistance on the CH_PD, at that point specs say 0.5 nA which is admissible. This is a web connected sensor approach, not a web controlled system. The later would require a permanent connection which is just a terrible thing to do if you expect batteries to last for months or may a year...

ESP8266

It is still unreliable/unstable as this post explains. I faced some issues of this kind after 1 or 2 weeks with Xively+Wifly and even faster with CC3000. The CC3000 just never ever reconnected to my modem/router. The Wifly did required a full reset and software update, but keeped unstable on long term. Actually, those modules do have some problems with the unreliable aspects of Wifi and Internet: they all can fail without warning or error messages and apparently this mess up the wifi/IP stacks in their inner memory.

Aside of Wifi, Xively faced unreliablity due to the internet connection itself. Some data was never received at Xively even from a Debian PC connected through ethernet.

About

Avatar for asez73 @asez73 started