You are reading a single comment by @randunel and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • Building a lexer that handles serial output is painful, because you never know when the output finishes. Imagine sending multiple commands in quick succession which return one or multiple lines, building something to properly handle that is really tricky, especially if the first commands take longer to return.
    I didn't know about the Serial1.setConsole, I will take a look and see what options are available.

I don't view implementing additional options on the espruino itself as a good idea, because these just take up memory and force other users to use the same options. For example, I would be interested in a "search-through-history" feature where you press ctrl+r like on linux, start typing some text and the matching commands are shown, and I already implemented something similar in here, but most users wouldn't even be aware of that.

Take a look at how other projects do it, the most popular servers are distributed with a separate client (mysql, redis, mongodb). They implement a protocol, and you can build alternate clients for them if you need to.

Anyway, I'm totally fine with the status quo, these are just my 2c :P if the "cli-on-espruino" will not change and cannot be avoided/disabled, we'll just have to adapt to it.

About

Avatar for randunel @randunel started