You are reading a single comment by @Gordon and its replies. Click here to read the full conversation.
  • @louisrawlins you'd probably use the Web IDE because it can automatically load modules off the net, even on boards that don't have their own net connection. Also it's easy to get a syntax highlighted editor which will highlight syntax errors. You're right that if you are just playing around in the console window there's not really any benefit over using Screen (except on Windows where a terminal app doesn't come pre-installed).

@randunel you can just send echo(0) in which case you can just send commands. However I feel that it defies the whole point of Espruino - which is that you don't need a complex terminal app to be able to use it.

@mattbrailsford thanks for sharing! It looks great! Do you have something I could try out? Personally I'd like to keep the terminal on the left though so I don't have to change basically every tutorial ;)

node-webkit seems like a neat idea... I'd still like to keep the Chrome App as well though - while some people like installing software, many more don't - and a few have Chromebooks too! The Chrome store also provides me with a single place where I can distribute the software. If I've got to publish a new version to the Windows App Store, Mac App store and Ubuntu package repositories for each version it's going to be particularly painful.

Presumably there's no real reason why we can't make the Web IDE work on both platforms though? Both are using Webkit and JS, and the serial library is already abstracted out...

Please could you take a look at the refactoring branch? At the moment it should be quite simple to change it such that it can be used on both platforms?

It'd also be really really nice if I could use that IDE design :) How does the options menu work? That's the thing that's really bugging me at the moment...

About

Avatar for Gordon @Gordon started