dirkhillbrecht

Member since Dec 2021 • Last active Jan 2022
  • 8 conversations
  • 32 comments

Dirk Hillbrecht, Hannover, Germany. Software developer since the 1980ies, pledged for the Bangle.js 2. Much knowledge in Java backend programming, some knowledge in microcontroller programming, so far little knowledge in Javascript.

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

Stupid question, I know, but... Did you try explicitly shutting down the Gadgetbridge on the Android device (Menu -> "Beenden" in German)? I always have to do this if I want to connect to the app loader and cannot connect to the app loader until I do this.

• in Bangle.js

Wow! Great!

• in Bangle.js

Hi Gordon,

this is a great idea! I already thought about this, too, but did not come up with a suggestion as I also saw the problem of the apps.json file creation. github magic and shell script would be perfect.

I also host my own app loader with the small subset of apps I actively work on. Currently, I've stripped down apps.json manually and solve merge conflicts on rebasing my own app loader branch manually.

I think that the use case "local app loader with app subset" is quite common. May I suggest to add a "restrictedapplist.json" (or whatever name it gets) in the main app loader directory. If it does not exist, the apps.json builder behaves exactly as proposed and includes the metadata of all apps into the apps.json. If however, restricedapplist.json exists and contains a ['list','of','app','ids'], only those apps are added to apps.json. This would allow to have that restrictedapplist in pesonal app loaders, it would not create merge conflicts (as the official loader of course does not have it) and make continuous integration of the official app loader into personal copies a charm.

One could even think about moving the restrictedapplist.json evaluation alternatively into the loader code. It could work like this (pseudo-code):

getAppsJson() {
      if apps.json exists
        load it
      else if restricedapplist.json exists
        load it
        apps.json={}
        for each app in restrictedapplist.json
          load app's metadata
          apps.json['appid']=app's metadata
      else
        bail out

Small development-only app loader could leave out the apps.json creation altogether this way. Loader with more traffic would create it by script or jekyll and had no performance loss. I must admit that my time and my Javascript skills are too restricted so that I have not tried to implement this myself so far.

Best regards,
    Dirk
    (who just created parts of the footage about a Bangle.js GPS video)

• in Bangle.js

Some days ago I posted a link to an introductionary video on the Bangle.js 2 in German. I got some feedback and decided to produce another version in English:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwSAEcJU­Au8

Now, there is also a video you can point people to who do not understand German. Note that this is NOT a subtitled or overdubbed version of the German video, but a completely new version for which I even recreated some of the language-independent footage. I did my best to produce understandable English as a non-native speaker...

Let me know if you have any comments or suggestions!

Best regards,
    Dirk

• in Bangle.js

Hi everyone,

after having played around with the Bangle.js 2 for some time now I decided to let the world know about this great system. I made an overview video on the clock showing unboxing and first steps. I also decided to create this in my mother tongue, German; mainly because I found absolutely no German videos about the Bangle.js 2 at all so far. You can find it on Youtube:

Die Bangle.js-2-Smartwatch - Ein √úberblick

So while this might not be of much use for - perhaps - most of you, it could help making the Bangle.js 2 better known in the German-speaking countries.

Let me know if you have any comments or remarks. And: Spread the word!

Best regards,
    Dirk

• in Bangle.js

Hi,

many thanks for this great watch face! Some feedback

• Broader hands, especially the seconds hand, would increase readability. The "always on" display of the Bangle.js 2 is a real "killer feature", it just needs software which makes the most use of it.

• You might think about making the seconds hand only drawn when the screen is unlocked. Without seconds hand, the clock only has to wake up once per minute and that really makes a difference to power consumption. This can be made an option, however.

• Your settings dialog should be at the usual place in the app settings. It is really confusing if it does not stick to standards.

• You also might think about using the default settings menus with E.showMenu(). Yes, yours are definitely more beautiful! But again - special solutions make things more complicated for the every day user. And if there is one thing that annoys people then it's if an every day item (like, say, a watch) has an overcomplicated configuration mechanism. And that would be a pity, because your watch is really nice.

• Your watch face overwrites the lower widget area. But I am a bit unsure whether this is really a think on the Bangle.js 2. So far, I have not yet seen a widget in that area...

May I also suggest a name change? I mean, being "configurable" is not really an outstanding feature for a computer program, is it? What do you think about "Versatile analog watch". Because that's its unique selling point: An analog watch face which has a versatile look'n'feel.

Best regards,
    Dirk

• in Bangle.js

Hi,

I also had a "spontaneous factory reset" once. It was in the beginning of my development of Anton clock. I started with copying it into a new app but garbled the app.json entry. My "antwsclk" overwrote the "antonclk" files on the Bangle as I did not change the file names. After some back and forth, I removed my app and therefore (parts of) Anton clock - which was still the default clock at that moment (I had not understood the concept of "default clock" at that time...).

However, I locked up the Bangle.js severely and the boot screen talked about "corrupted boot data" or did simply nothing. I left the Bangle alone for some 30 minutes and when I looked at it again, it obviously had performed a factory reset. Stock Anton clock etc.

I did not see this behaviour again once I corrected my app.json entries. There was another factory reset lateron, but for that I can absolutly not say any suspicious circumstances - it just happened.

Perhaps this helps more than it sounds...

Regards,
    Dirk

Actions