Fteacher

Member since Nov 2021 • Last active Mar 2024
  • 16 conversations
  • 182 comments

I'm an enthusiastic Free and open source software proponent. Not a coder though.
I do sports and plan to find ways to use the bangle.js 2 in running, maybe swimming (I know about water resistance, but there are ways around that).

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

It may come with a higher delivery cost, but I had my Bj2 sent from GB (Espruino shop) to Australia (Kickstarter campaign). I've checked the website and Germany is in the destination country list https://www.espruino.com/Bangle.js2 , so it looks like you can still order it :). Also, there's a silicon protective cover in this online shop, you might be interested in if you bump it on a regular base.

• in Bangle.js

That's a shame, but I got lazy. Well, not exactly: it was too challenging for me, too many steps involved, without any clear view on how I would achieve most of these. So I went the lazy way: I bought a second hand Garmin. I won't use the Garmin app, I will just extract the .fit files from the watch and use them in Golden Cheetah, to keep privacy. I'll get all the data I want + quite a few perks (open water swims !). I'll still use the banglejs2 for most of my runs and for everydaylife. There's an after taste of renunciation :(.

• 12 comments
  • in Bangle.js

Yeeeah ! If @Gordon confirms it might be an option (to use the puck to analyse the gait), then I'll get a puck.
    But, before that, I'm gonna borrow a chest hrm with so called "running dynamics" and see what kind of data I can get out of it. I might need help with that, or maybe I'll figure it out.

• in Bangle.js

The puck device on the shoe sounds really fun, but I think it's going to be concurrent to my bthrm (in terms of BLE) :/, right ?
    I'm going to hunt for a chest strap hrm with "running dynamics" that I can borrow, and hope it does the calculation onboard (even if it's unlikely).
    Thanks for all the extra explanations.

• in Bangle.js

I'm sorry, I'm pretty ignorant about how it all works, but if I understand correctly what @Mi says : the accelerometer might be the only sensor needed to get all the other data that I'm interested in (ie. ground contact time, and also better cadence and speed measurements (the data from my bjs2 seems quite off, as in attachment: lots of microvariability in speed, extremely low cadence).

If it is possible to get HRV out of these sensors, then I assume other data types should be possible to extract too.
    I actually don't need the watch to process the data, I just want it to make a .gpx file that contains the needed data. My plan is to process it in Golden Cheetah (FOSS) and hope it's gonna do the magic for me. I suspect the way to go, is to find someone that owns one of these fancy chest heart rate monitor and try to get it to spit its data out.

• in Bangle.js

Yes @Gordon, you mentioned that in another thread : the battery level incrementally increases in the 10 minutes following the end of the run. Possibly by up to 20%.
    I suppose by the end of next month I will have done a more than 2 hours test. I'd be amazed if I can run a marathon with a bjs2.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks !
    I switched off wake on tap and voila! It doesn't turn on on its own.
    To answer @Ganblejs, my settings in Runplus are:

• 4 boxes : Distance, time, pace avg, HR.
    • notifications : buzz every 1km (shouldn't be too bad)
      my settings in Recorder:
    • Time period 1second.
    • Log gps, steps, bthr
      Maybe, for really long runs I should use the run app instead of the fancier runplus (I ran runplus on race day, but didn't use the second screen).

GPS is really the biggest power hog (assuming your backlight is off) but really that should last for maybe 7 hours.

Maybe it's because the screen was sometimes on, but after 2 hours, the battery gauge was red and very thin. I'll do more real life testing in the coming weeks.

• in Bangle.js

I've followed Gordon's advice, uploaded "gps only" on a fully charged banglejs2. I was able to race 2 hours with the run+ app and the wrist heart rate monitor running. Yeees ! A few questions still.

• Would it draw more power to use the btrhm instead of the internal heart rate monitor of the bjs2 ?
    • I've asked in a different thread if it's possible to get more data out of a bthrm (ground contact time, stride length, vertical oscillation,...). Would it draw noticeably more power to get a bit more data out of the bthrm ?
      -I have "Wake on Tap" and "Wake on button" on on my watch ("face up" and "twist" are off). I noticed during my runs, that the screen lights up without me touching it. Is it related to "wake on tap" being on ? (actually going to answer myself to this question).
      Now I know the battery can last a half marathon, very happy with that. Next year, I will probably up the game to the marathon. Any chance the bjs2 can make it ? Are there some enhancements, tweaks that would help (considering there's a lot of time to think about it) ?
Actions