RobS

Member since Nov 2021 • Last active Dec 2021
  • 2 conversations
  • 10 comments

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

I went back earlier and watched it again. You are exactly correct. The biggest problem I had was that I assumed that I would be sending the download to BT device named Bangle.js 31f1. In the video he does say to select DfuTarg and now that I know, it's obvious. (And sometimes what I think I know isn't correct. :)

And don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I have about 45 years of experience designing and programming systems that have microcontrollers built in, so I do understand that, when you are familiar with a system it is quite difficult to point out the things that you take for granted will fly right by the noob. I'm 73 and have been retired for about 8 years, so I'm rusty and not fully up to date on all the amazing growth and popularization of everybody building and programming gadgets. I love that and want to get back into it for fun instead of work.

I think this project is well run and the cost of the Banglejs 2 was amazingly reasonable. I'm going to toy around with some things to customize it for me.

The reason I wrote out all the steps I took was for me. The reason I posted it here was incase someone had the same problem it might be helpful. I always read the forums. You set me straight about the order of operations and Raik pointed out the DfuTarg name to connect to. So thanks again to both of you.

Peace, Love, Laughter,
    Rob:-]

• in Bangle.js

Here's my amended steps that worked for me.

STEPS I FOLLOWED

1. I found NRFTOOLBOX on the Android Playstore and installed it. (DFU Library version 1.10.3)
    2. I downloaded the latest firmware distribution: 2v11_banglejs2.zip
    3. I poked the DFU button in the NRFTOOLBOX.
    4. I poked the SELECT FILE button
    5. Selected the Distribution packet (ZIP) & poked OK
    6. The Search this phone page appeared and displayed No items.
    7. To find the download file I poked the This week button and espruino_2v11_banglejs2.zip file popped up. I touched the app to select the file.
    8. That took me back to DFU page. I held the fob down until the === started, then released the fob.
    9. I poked SELECT DEVICE then SCAN and selected DfuTarg. The watch screen displayed CONNECTED
    10. The download began and the progress bar on the phone let me know how far it had gone. When it finished the watch rebooted into the new firmware.

NOTE: In step 10 I expected to select the BT name of the watch but in Dfu mode (that's what it goes into when you long-press the fob and release it before the ==== stop marching across the watch screen) it switches to DfuTarg instead.

• in Bangle.js

Thanks for the help.

I tried the suggestion just now, several times.
    Same exact results: DFU CHARACTERISTICS NOT FOUND
    I noticed that, when I go to the SELECT DEVICE page I see that Bangle.js 31f1 shows that it is connected, whereas, when I got to that page after putting the Bangle.js into the upload state, it shows that it is not connected.
    OH! It changed its identifier as Dfutarg! I hit the SCAN button on the SELECT DEVICE page and then found the Dfutarg device, selected it and then I saw the word CONNECTED on the watch screen. I poked the UPLOAD button on my phone and then the download started ... and finished. Now I have 2v11 installed!

I will put another reply with the amended step list.

• in Bangle.js

SUMMARY
    Followed all directions in this video: Bangle.js 2 Firmware Updates (Android)

STEPS I FOLLOWED

1. I found NRFTOOLBOX on the Android Playstore and installed it. (DFU Library version 1.10.3)
    2. I downloaded the latest firmware distribution: 2v11_banglejs2.zip
    3. I poked the DFU button in the NRFTOOLBOX.
    4. I poked the SELECT FILE button
    5. Selected the Distribution packet (ZIP) & poked OK (it reported "No items)
    6. I used the Android Drive app to find the download. (I used the This week button and espruino_2v11_banglejs2.zip file popped up.)
    7. Touched the app to select the file.
    8. I selected All and OK
    9. That took me back to DFU. I used SELECT DEVICE and selected Bangle.js 31f1
    10. I held the fob down until the === started, then released the fob.
    11. The download churned for a while then it stopped and displayed an error message for half a second that said DFU CHARACTERISTICS NOT FOUND

I never got a CONNECT indicator on the watch screen.
    I tried at least ten times with the same results.

What am I doing wrong?

• in Bangle.js

Hey blkhawk,

Thanks for the info. I thought it might not be very hard but I'm surprised at how easy it looks. I haven't written any JavaScript in many years, but I can read the code you included and it makes sense.

I gather that setInterval takes two values: an anonymous function and a number that tells it how often to call it. (Is 60 * 1000 one minute or one hour? Those are the kind of questions I'm going to have to learn how to answer myself.)

Looks like I'm on my way to fun adventures that will live on my wrist. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Peace,
    RobS:-]

• in Bangle.js

QUESTION: In your new glossary has this statement:
    The Launcher is the menu that lets you choose which app to 'launch'. It's usually accessible from the Clock by short-pressing the button.

1. Can you be more specific about what the short-press? (Approximate time perhaps?)
    2. Is there a long-press? (Approximate time perhaps?)
    3. Are there any other forms of pressing the button.

It's usually accessible from the Clock

1. What do you mean by the Clock? As far as I know, we only have the button and the touch screen with which we can manipulate the operation of the watch. (I guess there are other methods such as the accelerometers, Bluetooth and the other sensors, but I don't think the Clock is one of those.)

2. Is there a comprehensive list of all the hardware capabilities of
      the Bangle.js 2?

3. Is there an official library for developers to use to access all the
      hardware capabilities of the Bangle.js 2?

• in Bangle.js

I love the changes you've made and so quickly. I'm wearing the watch night and day now. I also know what app I want to write, if there isn't one like it already. Here's the bare bones spec:

I want an app that will buzz me every hour, on the hour, from 0900 to 1800. (I like to get up out of my chair each hour and do a five minute workout.) Of course those start and end times should be configurable. Are their any apps like this now or one that is close enough that reading the code would help me write my own version?

I'm impressed and happy at how well this project is running. As we say in Texas, "This ain't your first rodeo now is it."

Peace,
    RobS:-]

• in Bangle.js

I just set the date and time on my new watch. It was wicked hard to figure out how to move up and down in the menus. There should be a paragraph or two describing how it works. I think its brilliant for the small screen but I have never run into an interface that works this way. I kept trying to use what works on my phone. It just doesn't work that way.

I think much of the confusion I encountered was because there are some terms used in this project that have different meaning in other systems I've worked on. This page about apps ( https://banglejs.com/apps/ ) did help me to realized that the "Launcher" (I think) loads the various menus and ultimately launches an "app" based on which selection you activated. Many of the terms in this project use the same words I'm used to but do not have the same meaning I thought they did.

I didn't find https://banglejs.com/start2 useful because it talked about (I think) loading new apps onto the watch. What I want to do is learn what "apps" are on the watch and how to use them. (Am I wrong about that?) But the page it took me to, https://banglejs.com/apps/, seems to be a system to download and install new apps onto the watch. That would have been useful to have a paragraph about that. But I do not want to download any apps yet. Not until I can navigate around what is on the watch now.

Thanks all. I think I'm catching on now.

Actions