opichals

Member since Jun 2014 • Last active Oct 2017
  • 3 conversations
  • 20 comments

Most recent activity

• in Other Boards

I think giving the ESPs some love from your insider/experienced side would show Espruino in better light and might reduce the burden of explaining people they should use some other board when they just wanted to make some fun project. In my opinion the popularity vs effort ratio is an important metric to look at at the stage of evolution Espruino is in. Espruino popularity is getting you the money.

Contacting EspressIF sounds like a possible way to go, but again they might not see the benefits just because Espruino is not that widespread yet.

And thank you for the kind words. It's been a fun way for me to get into hacking hardware.

• in Other Boards

@Gordon I am a big fan of what you are doing with Espruino. I bought the original Espruino board earlier...

From my point of view the ESPs are simply too popular for not getting first class support from a firmware like Espruino. The connectivity feature of those chips/boards make them very tempting to play with (along with the price obviously). I think it could become way more popular by just giving the chilps/boards the attention they deserve.

It is very hard to tell what is the right direction for you to go to make a living off of it all. I feel like the Espruino board business cannot scale though. I think the patreon thing seems to be a nice way of getting support for all the work (although not yet self-sustainable I can see). I personally decided to rather spent time contributing to the code as long as it is just a hobby stuff for me at this point. I feel like contributing that way is the best I could do for Espruino at this stage.

• in ESP8266

I have tried the IR receive stuff with the d1 mini (esp8266) and if my math is correct I am getting codes sometimes as long as 50ms. So if I wanted to simply retransmit using the tight loop digitalPulse() esp8266 port sw implementation it would take too long and the watchdog would reset the board before finishing. So your option 2 from above @Gordon doesn't seem feasible. Am I missing something there?

On the other hand @Gordon's https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/iss­ues/1175#issuecomment-318593010 comment gives hope in avoiding to go with some sort of ne555-based 38kHz oscillator or something. I wouldn't really think of it if it were just for the IR emission but it sounds like using the timer handling present in custom pwm code would make the esp8266 port way more usable compared to the current state. I personally would be very interested but I guess lack knowledge and instrumentation. Perhaps somebody could give it a shot? @Gordon?

• in News

I just sifted through the chapters on safaribooks and I like educational approach a lot.

Thanks @Gordon!

• 6 comments
  • in ESP32

I like wemos d1 with ESP8266 so I thought that getting wemos built esp32 board would be good as it also has 4MB flash available. See https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?cat­Id=0&initiative_id=AS_20170420235556&Sea­rchText=LoLin32 Would this be a good board to get to start playing with the ESP32 Espruino?

• started
    • 4 comments
  • in ESP8266

Hi!

Just reading about the new ESP3212 (on sale at seedstudio). Wouldn't that one be a good candidate to run Espruino on?

Best Regards
    Standa

• in Interfacing

I think about Bluetooth PAN as a way to get espruino on the net. Having a server with a bluetooth dongle for supporting PAN would suffice.

I am also not sure how does it actually work under the hood (yet).

• in Interfacing

Hi!

Has anyone thought about hooking espruino to the net using bluetooth tethering? Anyone having an idea on what would it take to make this happen?

Best Regards
    Standa

Actions