BenJabituya

Member since Dec 2020 • Last active Jan 2021
  • 5 conversations
  • 19 comments

hardware hacking hobbyist, projects vary wildly at times but mainly concern biofeedback/health and game dev

Most recent activity

• in Bangle.js

@DrBard yep that's basiscally it. BTW there's actually another app that does specific sun and moon calcs which you might want to look at also: https://banglejs.com/apps/#astroc

I'm not getting correct metrics from that app though but again I think it's just because of the acos issue; I've actually found a better function for that now than the one I gave before (Don't know what voodoo magic they do to work these out!): https://developer.download.nvidia.com/cg­/acos.html

• in Bangle.js

@DrBard should be there in the next few days once it's gone through all the checks etc. You can get it directly from my repo in the meantime also:
    https://jabituyaben.github.io/BangleApps­/#astral
    I've not put the ISS aspect in because I need to think about which API to use, it might work better as a seperate app because this one is already trying to do a lot.

• in Bangle.js

@DrBard One thing to watch out for is the acos part, which is one of the last calculations you have to do - there is an issue in the Bangle firmware with that function on negative values and you'll get strange results. There are several ways to estimate acos you can find online and I've used one of those for now myself and it's close enough for this kind of thing. It's a known issue but fairly new so fixed for Espruino but it's not in the latest standard Bangle firmware.

function acos_estimate(x) {

return (-0.69813170079773212 * x * x - 0.87266462599716477) * x + 1.5707963267948966;

}

• in Bangle.js

@Robin Just seeing if there’s a way to do it for any location without downloading and uploading files to the watch-I can do it that way for now tho, probably is best way actually. Just means users will need to use separate apps to generate the JSON each month or so and copy the file over which the bangle can look for. The clock app actually stores lat and Lon in its own json so I can make a python script or something that uses that to make it easier.

• in Bangle.js

Did anyone get round to doing this ISS stuff? pretty interesting. I was looking around the forum for astronomy related projects - I've put together a Clock that calculates planet and sun positions (Alt/Az) based on GPS, will be putting it in the App Loader in the next week once I've sorted a couple things. It doesn't need to interface with any API etc and so I think it's possible to include a spot the station feature with a few more steps. For IIS you'd need to calculate when it's over the horizon, whether it's night time locally and if the Sun is at the right angle as light has to be reflected off it to be visible. The last part in all that carries most of the heavy calculation I think and this clock goes part way for it. The thing with ISS is that it's orbit drifts back and forth and they adjust it with boost so for any projected trajectories calculated - I don't know how long the results would be accurate for so will need to look into that. Worst case though, a settings file could be exposed to kind of reset the projection and orbit every now and then if needed, similar to winding dates at the end of the month on analog watches...this is obvs over the top by comparison and also why it must be done :p

https://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/Tools/orbitTuto­rial.htm

• in Bangle.js

@Gordon cheers! I had an inconsistant name for the app ID and I think the img name so once I updated the json it's sorted

• 3 comments
  • in Bangle.js

I've forked the BangleApps repo and submitted a couple apps already no problem but this recent one isn't working via the App Loader so just seeing what options there are to debug.

The app actually works fine if you launch it manually from the IDE after installing from the App Loader but in the Launcher on the watch I've got a blank space where the icon would be and the title of the app. When you try pressing the middle button the app doesn't launch.

-I've got 2v08 and the latest bootloader
    -tried deleting all apps, restarting several times
    -there are other apps already on the main repo that have the same problem on my watch atm - the Desktop Launcher is one that I don't even see come up on the menu, unless it's meant to be that way for that one...again, they load fine if I do it from the IDE after installing.
    -tried multiple different icons and options incase it's something to do with that, the icon appears ok when you load it in the IDE. Can a badly formatted icon even break loading the app from the Launcher?
    -no errors in Chrome to note

going to let the watch go flat and see what happens after a recharge otherwise anyone got any other ideas?

App is called HRM Data Exporter, https://jabituyaben.github.io/BangleApps­/, doesn't do anything too crazy.

• in Bangle.js

@DrBard that's basically where I was going with it - I tracked the temp overnight along with heart rate, just in case skin temp has any bearing but it doesn't...correlates more with when my heating is turned on and off so it's not bad for checking ambient temp changes, as mentioned it would need to have an offset applied for an estimate of actual temp.

Actions