Member since Jan 2020 • Last active Dec 2020
  • 2 conversations
  • 27 comments

Most recent activity

• in General

Okay, I've figured it out.
    This line causes the issue:
    s.write("index", "", 0, 15014);
    If I put the length attribute to the first chunk of the actual data it works as intended. I don't know if it's a bug or intentional, but now it works correctly. Strange that with the small example it's not an issue.

• in General

I've written a small tool which creates a helper script, and can be executed on the board as suggested to create the environment. I'm sending the file in small 32 byte chunks as a byte array.

It goes like:

var s = require("Storage");
    s.eraseAll();
    s.write("index", "", 0, 15014);
    s.write("index", [60, 33, 68, 79, 67, 84, 89, 80, 69, 32, 104, 116, 109, 108, 62, 10, 60, 104, 116, 109, 108, 62, 10, 10, 32, 32, 60, 104, 101, 97, 100, 62], 0);
    s.write("index", [10, 32, 32, 32, 32, 60, 116, 105, 116, 108, 101, 62, 81, 55, 82, 70, 32, 77, 81, 84, 84, 32, 67, 111, 110, 102, 105, 103, 117, 114, 97, 116], 32);
    // ... goes on

The problem is, that only the first write succeeds, and only the first 32 bytes can be read from the entry. If I manually execute the lines in the interpreter, only the first write returns true, others are not even returning false. Any idea what causing this? I think something fails silently in the native code.
    It doesn't seem to be offset related, if I change the second write from 32 to 33 or 31 it does the same.

This works:

>s.write("test", "", 0, 20);
    =true
    >s.write("test", [0, 1, 2, 3, 4], 5);
    =true
    >s.write("test", [0, 1, 2, 3, 4], 15); 
    =true
    >s.read("test");
    ="\xFF\xFF\xFF\xFF\xFF\0\1\2\3\4\xFF\xFF­\xFF\xFF\xFF\0\1\2\3\4"

Also it seems I have more than enough memory left in storage:

>s.getFree();
    =181528

• in Bangle.js

I meant that the @types/espruino Typescript definition doesn't have the Storage module covered. This thread is about Typescript.

• in General

Thank you! So handcrafting something is the only way for now.

Is it okay to do something like s.write('html', [<very_long_byte_array>]); or should I split it up to let's say 5kB chunks? Also can I upload the .bootcde script manually in chunks using the Storage API?

• in General

I'm familiar with how to create Storage entries using the interpreter over the serial connection.

My problem is that with the Espruino CLI I can't seem to send other than the main script file going to .bootcde during the upload (this is done by the --config SAVE_ON_SEND=1 option).

I tried to do something like this:

./node_modules/.bin/espruino --board ESP8266_4MB -o test.js --ohex test.hex --storage html:./portal/dist/index.html --config SAVE_ON_SEND=1 ./firmware/dist/app.js

It's not possible to remove the --ohex option, and the test.js output clearly only contains the E.setBootCode part.

Even if it's the only way to do it, I can't find any instructions on how to flash this hex file to the ESP8266 (probably with the esptool.py). But I would rather not do that and use only the Espruino CLI if possible.

I think it's clear now why I'm thinking about bundling the assets to the main script file instead.

Also it's funny that even though I don't connect to any device during the above command, it mentions that I'm using an old firmware.

Espruino Command-line Tool 0.1.30
    -----------------------------------

--ohex used - enabling MODULE_AS_FUNCTION
    Explicit board JSON supplied: "ESP8266_4MB"
    You have pre-1v96 firmware. Upload size is limited by available RAM
    Writing output to test.js
    Writing hex output to test.hex

Am I using an old Espruino dependency or the board definition triggers this and there's a new ESP8266 name available I'm not aware of?
    Mod: yep, if I leave out the --board switch it doesn't print that.

• in Bangle.js

Imo the current @types/espruino under DefinitelyTyped is incomplete. eg. there's no definition for the Storage module.
    I've found this other one in this Github repository but have no idea where this came form, seems to be generated as well. Can't reach the owner.

I've just finished porting my existing NodeMCU + Lua code to Espruino + Typescript, and it worked quiet well. Although one needs to be careful, because even though you can target ES6, some features are missing. eg. initially I was using the Map structure to handle some things, but that was not working and went back to basic JS dictionaries (where Typescript can still gives a bunch of type hints fortunately).

I wonder what other people use for transpiling and minification. I'm using Rollup + Uglify right now, but maybe Babel would do more and polyfill some missing stuff and make it a more transparent experience. I don't know if it's possible to define a more specific set of supported ECMAScript features for a transpiler; an up-to-date Espruino fitting profile could be done that way.

(Also I would love to play with this watch, but I was too late for the Kickstarter party, and it's kind of expensive now. :( Got me thinking if there are other open source watches available, and interestingly the PineTime seems to use a very similar hardware; I wonder if the manufacturer behind is the same or not.)

• in General

Is it possible to upload to a named storage entry with the Espruino CLI? I'm currently using that with save on send to upload my code. A similar thing for this html asset would be nice.

• in General

I would like to serve up a minified single HTML (including CSS, JS, images, etc.) from my Espruino. To minimize space, I'm going to gzip the resulting file and use the Content-Encoding HTTP header when serving it up.

I'm also thinking about inlining this gzip file in my Espruino JS code, and base64 encode it. What is the most memory efficient way to stream this from the Espruino, and not decode the whole string into memory first?

Or is there a better idea to do this? I don't have an SD card storage, just the flash of my ESP8266 board.

Actions