indianajones

Member since Jul 2019 • Last active Sep 2019
  • 5 conversations
  • 50 comments

Most recent activity

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

I'm getting a datastream from the audio mixer (MIDI data over TCP), so the data never ends. I suppose I could pre-allocate a 1kb buffer and use it as a FIFO, so long as the consumer code keeps pulling data out.

After checking out suggestions from @maze1980 and @Robin, I've created my TCP message handler, and it kinda works. I appear to be getting data corruption in the buffer that I copy the incoming data into, and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The handler:

if(this.tcpBuffer && this.tcpBuffer.byteLength) {
        let leftoverDataLen = this.tcpBuffer.byteLength;
        let tmpBuffer = new Uint8Array(leftoverDataLen + chunk.length);
        tmpBuffer.set(this.tcpBuffer, 0);
        tmpBuffer.set(E.toUint8Array(chunk), leftoverDataLen);
        this.tcpBuffer = tmpBuffer;
    }
    else {
        this.tcpBuffer = E.toUint8Array(chunk);
    }

So I either start off with a brand new copy of the incoming data (converted to Uint8Array), or I append the new data to the end of the current buffer. When done, this.tcpBuffer should contain all of the data that I've not yet processed. Am I doing this correctly / is there a better way to append the data?

• 34 comments

@Gordon yes I was completely forgetting some of the rules of scope in javascript.

@allObjects I agree with @Robin.

Getting a reliable 'pipe' going may be a challenge...

Most of the time, my code will be on the receiving end of MIDI data, and most of that will be a burst of NRPN messages after initial connection, and then mostly quiet. So far, so good on that front, but it's still early - plenty of time to screw things up ;-)

Thanks for the awesome detail @allObjects. My data is MIDI data, so technically 7 bit, although the extended MIDI data is 8-bit. I switched between Uint8 and Uint8Clamped and my data doesn't look any different, so I think I'm safe. However, my 16-bit binary data on USART? Different animal altogether. Good ole' endianness.

@maze1980 and @Robin, thanks again for your suggestions and links. I had been using Uint8Array, or should I say mis-using it. After reading the links and trying more iterations, I settled on using Uint8ClampedArray, oh and using it correctly also helps. It's working very well now, thanks!

I have a connection to a device that's sending binary data over a TCP connection, and of course I get the data in chunks, which must be concatenated as new data comes in. Because the data I receive is binary, I have to convert the incoming data using E.toUint8Array, which works great. But when new data comes in, I have to add the new data to the existing Uint8Array, and I'm struggling to find the right way to do this. Anyone have experience with this?

Final update on this issue. I have it all working now - I can control my Allen & Heath Qu series mixer via MIDI over TCP using the Espruino Wifi. My high-level understanding was accurate, but you guys helped me figure out how to use the dgram and net libraries properly to make it work. Thanks @Gordon for steering me in the right direction, and @Robin and especially @maze1980 for helping me see the errors in my code. Many thanks.

Actions