matencio

Member since Dec 2018 • Last active Jun 2020
  • 0 conversations
  • 54 comments

Psychology professor- old guy trying to learn new things. Failure is not an option.

Most recent activity

• in JavaScript

Hi allObjects! I'm still around. A lot has happened since last we communicated. My pay was cut to 1/3rd where I taught at the university and I was still teaching the same number of teachers. That led me to resign at the end of the semester and find new work. I was hired to teach middle school and took a position in Florida between Daytona Beach and Orlando. I never had the chance to build the horse race game. It's sad because the files and all were on an external HDD that was damaged in the cross-country move. I've lost hope of getting that ever built due to my lack of knowledge around coding. Something being discussed here. As for the build? I'd really love to build it but... It's nice to know I wasn't forgotten. I haven't forgotten either. Life's circumstances prohibited me from building the project correctly. Mike

• in JavaScript

It does look bright. This is turning out to be a great project resurrecting the past.

Here's the artwork the lights will sit behind. An artist's representation (mine) but ten rows with the different colors as in the video of the board. The board is black with the horse cutouts diffused by a frosted clear plastic and the Neopixel lighting behind the horse. I think it will be really nice when completed.

• in Pico / Wifi / Original Espruino

You have been working on this 100% from the beginning and other folks have chimed in but now I'm suffering from data overload or TMI. I'm sticking with you only. So let's do this, help me create code for 12 competing players. I need to know exactly which board number (the Wi-Fi is what you suggested), the correct light string, I have 15-20 power supplies from stuff over the years. If I have to buy one, no problem. I ordered the switches for the lanes. The college students flaked out on me... as you already wrote most of the code, can you finish the coding so it will work for 12 players? I'll upload it and put it all together. I think that would be the most helpful. I'll even name a horse for you... lol
    Thanks, Mike

Oh, I'm learning JS through YouTube tutorials so I can improve my skills.

Well, finally getting a chance to read all of this and yup, scared me a little. LOL. I was searching through the comments to determine what Espruino to get and what lights to get. I think I'm suffering from TMI. I need a parts list that will work . Applying the KISS rule. I'm all mixed up so if someone comes to a final conclusion, I would really appreciate it. Thanks fellas.
    Mike

The image of the game is the actual game. There weren't any mechanical horses though. Awesome pic because that is the guy that ran it back in the day. That is the actual game I'm reproducing. Very cool. I don't have the board unfortunately. I have to build it too. Still, well worth the effort. I love that second game with mechanical horses but never played. I'd love to build that too but wouldn't know where to start.
    Now to answer questions.

Yes, each player is separate. If 18 is too many, for now, can I do 12 instead? It will be more practical that way. Easier to manage too. That's enough for the family get togethers. That should resolve the board issue too, I hope.

Shielding the cable. Isn't there a cable wrap to shied the wire? I have used tin foil in the past...lol don't know if that was okay but it worked.

Hello! Before answering questions, I must thank you from deep in my heart. Your efforts have blown me away.

Exactly, players are simultaneously playing.

Unlike a pinball machine with only a single player, everyone plays at the same time until there is a winner.

Game operation:
    So, the handle is pulled and shoots the ball up, it bounces on rubber bumpers but the bumpers do nothing.

Think of them like the bumper rails on a pool table.

Gravity takes over and the ball drops into one of two lanes. One lane has two rollover switches, the other lane has three.

The ball rolls over each switch and the light advances.

Question:
    Since the lights are programmable, (remember I really don't know much about all this so if it sounds dumb, sorry) couldn't one switch be used to advance the lights two or three lights depending on which of 2 switchs is activated instead of using 5 switches?

Less parts to buy, less to wear out.

As the lights advance, they reach the "Final Stretch".

Question, can the lights in the final stretch be programmed to advance one light using the same switches instead of two or three lights? Basically slowing down the leaders so others can catch up?

Next question:
    Do I need to cut the string (or can I cut it?) or is it one long string zig zagging back and forth?

It seems to me that the lights then have to be coded backwards for every other player. Is it more efficient to cut the string, add three lengths of long wire to start the string for those players at the start instead of backwards coding them? It seems simpler for the coding? Am I perceiving this correctly?

Next question: after enlarging the picture of the board, I discovered there are 30 lights for each player to light. 24 lights during the race and then six lights for the Final Stretch.

If I reproduce the game exactly like the picture, there are 18 players. I'm reproducing something that no longer exists. I may donate this to an arcade museum after I leave this world, that means all 18 players for a faithful reproduction. How much power will this take?

Can the Espruino handle that many players?

If not, what is the number of players that can play on one board and what power supply should I purchase to run all of it?

Can I use a power supply like those used for a pc upgrade with a powerful graphics card. I think this is a compatible solution but I'm guesstimating here.

Do you have a way I can call or you can call me. I think verbally communicating might help on the game operation. Everything for the coding and building should stay here on the forum.

As I'm on my cell, I can't see the pictures Robin posted. My eyes are old and its hard to watch them. The pc at home is much easier to see.

I may add more comments this afternoon when I get home. A real keyboard and big screen.

Again thanks

I think when I log in from my phone, it's grabbing my different email addresses from FB or something. I noticed that I had different user numbers too. The first two are me, I thought I corrected it the last time but alas, I now have a third user... sheesh🤔 I have to figure out why I'm logging in with different emails when it should populate using the original when I set up my registration. Today, I'm going to work on this issue.

No schematics. The last remaining game was parted out and nothing exists. I wish. I haven't checked one place, the US Patent Office. I'm adding that to my must do's list today. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I am going to use Espruino. The students helping me know Java Script well. They didn't know about the Espruino board but I doubt it is a problem. In fact, I copied everything everyone in this forum, including @allObjects has created and forwarded to them to the students. I thought it would benefit the large number of CS students at Louisiana Tech University more and intro the Espruino board to them as well. Spread the wealth.

For me, I'm going to handle this like I'm a project manager and connect everything and everyone, then learn how this all works once this works. I'm a hands on learner. The students are being paid for their help and they can educate me on the build and coding. I think getting out of the way and letting them build it is better than me micromanaging. I'll also learn all of this and may be able to contribute back to others on this forum when possible. In the meantime, I'm learning a lot now which wasn't possible without the great people on this forum.

The hardest part? Getting it up and running. I can't wait!

Thank you to everyone for sticking by my side. A dream is going to become a reality. I have a plan and help, materials and students that seem more excited than I am to complete this. Kids and pinball type games are still a great combo. A tiny part of the good old days still exists. That's just cool.

• in Electronics

Wow, you make it sound so easy. I was told an Arduino nano or uno was the way to go. If I'm reading this right, the Espruino is better designed for what I'm doing. Can it run 10 players at one time instead of one Espruino for each player? I was looking at the code and it seems like that is what is happening.

• in Electronics

Wow, you make it sound so easy. I was told an Arduino nano or uno was the way to go. If I'm reading this right, the Espruino is better designed for what I'm doing. Can it run 10 players at one time instead of one Espruino for each player? I was looking at the code and it seems like that is what is happening.

• in Electronics

Yes, it would be a lot of hardware. I was thinking of building a couple then if it works I can add more. Right now it would be fun to race my grandkids (13 total) on like 6 tracks at home. I'm assuming each player/horse is a complete circuit independent if another, right?

Actions