Bernd

Member since Oct 2018 • Last active Nov 2019
  • 3 conversations
  • 10 comments

hoping to use Espruino in education outreach projects (primary and secondary)

Most recent activity

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Great, I’ll order some and give them a go. Will post an update here once I’ve found out. Thanks again.

• 5 comments

Hi Gordon,

thanks for your advice - quick as always... much appreciated!
    Do you think that either / both of these would work? (They both claim to have voltage regulators).

If you think they should work, i'll just try both.

The Sparkfun board also seems to look good but it requires soldering the headers on and the reviews are pretty mixed (why don't they sell a version with headers???)

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13287

Thanks,

Bernd

Hello,

has anyone found a wifi shield that works on the Pixl.js without any rewiring or modification? I am aware of this tutorial: http://www.espruino.com/arduino-esp8266, which is great... Unfortunately, my target group for this project (very young students) won't be able to change the boards. Hardware has to be plug and play, which is the primary reason for choosing Espruino in the first place.

The development goal is a BLE GATT to MQTT via Wifi gateway. Unfortunately, the Espruino Wifi won't work for this either, since it doesn't support BLE. Any pointers appreciated.

Best,
    Bernd

• 11 comments
  • in Other Boards

That’s good to hear. In that case it’s probably better to use the UART. Thanks!

• in Other Boards

thanks, Gordon.
    I actually have a few old Androids lying around. Maybe I'll try that.

On a related matter: I need to transfer larger amounts of data via the BLE connection (offline data logging). From studying the web resources, the normal approach (see here) appears to sequentially write to a characteristic, exploiting the events / exceptions

BLE_ERROR_NO_TX_BUFFERS and
    BLE_EVT_TX_COMPLETE

These don't seem to be exposed in the NRF library. What do you recommend? (I think I could exploit the UART interface, but I would like to be able to implement the same protocol on non-Espruino devices later so that I don't have to change the central side).

Thanks!

• in Other Boards

Oh, great. Thanks for the quick response. Switching Bluetooth on and off actually solved the problem!

I found a note in the meantime that the Bluetooth SIG requires a service 0x1801: { // generic attribute service with charactersitic 0x2A05: { // service changed characteristic to be present (and I assume with value true) if the services on a device can change.

I tried to set this, as part of my code using

NRF.setServices({
      0x1801: { // generic attribute service
        0x2A05: { // service changed characteristic
          notify: true,
          readable: true,
          value : [true]
        }
      }
    });

but this didn't produce any effect. I suppose at that point it's already too late? Would it be possible to put that into the default profile?

• in Other Boards

I can't get Thingy to provide a GATT service. After reading everything I could find online, I still have no idea what I could be doing wrong.

Advertising work fine, I can see the 0x180D service in the advertisement (I'm using NRFconnect on iOS to check, but have the same effect with other tools as well).

But when I connect only the standard UART RX and TX services are visible. Nothing else.

The code below is taken from another stream and appeared to work on a Ruuvitag. (I've tried various versions, but without any change in effect).

NRF.setServices({
      0x180D: { // heart_rate
        0x2A6E: { // heart_rate_measurement
          notify: true,
          readable: true,
          value : [0]
        }
      }
    }, { advertise: [0x180D], uart: false });

var cnt = 0;

setWatch(function() {
      if(cnt++ % 2 === 0)
        LED1.set();
      else
        LED1.reset();
      NRF.updateServices({
        0x180D : {
          0x2A6E : {
            value : [cnt],
            notify: true
          }
        }
      });
    }, BTN, { repeat:true, edge:"rising", debounce: 50 });

The LED toggles just fine, so obviously the function gets called.

And, yes, I do disconnect the Web Bluetooth IDE from Thingy before I check the services.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks,

Bernd

Actions