Kartman

Member since Sep 2018 • Last active Dec 2021
  • 4 conversations
  • 60 comments

Most recent activity

• in Other Boards

Watch batteries have no hope of powering the cellular module. You need to use Lithium Ion batteries. Unfortunately the RAK8212 has a poor voltage regulator that draws more current than the cellular module in sleep, so this module is a poor choice for something that has to run for a long time.

As for waterproof cases, there's many suppliers of IP rated enclosures.

• in Other Boards

RAK didn’t make a good choice of voltage regulator. This needs to be changed to one with a lower quiescent current.

• in Other Boards

When enabled, the gps module will send data regularly. The messages it sends will tell you its status.

• in Other Boards

The nrf52832 has only one uart, so you can only talk to one device at a time - either the gps or the gsm. The gps module can take some time to get a fix - 15 minutes or so.

• in Other Boards

The rx and tx pins are swapped for the bc95 vs the m35 module.

I'd suggest you update the firmware on the bc95 as well. This presents a challenge in that you need to solder some wires to the bc95 to a usb->serial converter. I use the usb base board for this. There's a windows program from quectel that does the firmware upload. You can also do this 'over the air', but I've not tried this.

• in Other Boards

I didn't solve it! Gordon did.

• in Other Boards

Mine does too - as i wired it that way. The average jlink doesn’t.

• in Other Boards

Note that the debugger doesn't supply power! The board needs to be powered externally.

• in Other Boards

I use a nRF52dk and it works fine from my mac as Gordon describes. I build Espruino and do everything on a macbook pro.

Note: the 8211 uses a BC95 cell module and a L70 GPS.
    The 8212 uses the BG96. The BG96 GNSS has GPS and Glonass, so it has better performance.

You probably want to update the BC95 firmware at some stage. I just did mine today. It requires a bit of jiggery-pokery to do. You need to solder some jumper wires from two resistors on the board to the uart pins. You can then use the usb->serial board to download new firmware - you need Windows for this as the Quectel app is windows only. It works well running a Win7 VM using Virtualbox.

• in Other Boards

I concur with Gordon - it takes some time to do a cold start. The GPS needs to download the ephemeris and at 50 bits per second, it takes some time.

Actions