Member since Aug 2018 • Last active Aug 2018
  • 1 conversations
  • 10 comments

Most recent activity

• in ESP8266

Nice one, thanks Robin.

Yep, getting these things to play together is pretty tough! Fun though! :D

• in ESP8266

Ahhhh. I'm just ranting. I don't really know. I'm reading a lot - but it's all a bit overwhelming right now. There's obvious steps in the process to creating hardware. I don't really know right now what I want to make... there are obviously endless possibilities and that's what's so cool about it.

It's a new field, but there are certain routes to getting there.

@allObjects you're right. I need to start with the prototyping stage first and understanding how sensors etc work... I've been doing that. But is learning PCB design the best way to actually learn electronics? I'm thinking it is. Then you can apply your prototyping knowledge far better. I don't know yet. Yeah, MCUs are coded in C, but you can get away with Node on MPUs. I don't know how the Espruino is coded with JS... maybe a custom JS engine written in C?

• in ESP8266

Found a good site to get me started. Digikey... so that's what we have to work with. Right... I'm getting it.

• in ESP8266

Cheers mate.

I know.. it's a good advanced community - Espruino. Arduino is full of newbs. How do I get LED 13 blinking etc. etc.

• in ESP8266

Awwww nice. Imma try this! See the thing is, there's not much in the way of a solid path of learning... it's kind of all over the place, blogs - talking to people, hanging out on forums like this one.

I mean, the books are good to getting started.. But I already know how to code, it's understanding the hardware. It's like... how do you go from here to knowing how to build a set of bluetooth or WIFI headphones for instance.

• in ESP8266

Yeah probably mate. But... I don't know any JohnnyFive forums XD

Need to get an espruino at some point once I've learnt more ;)

• in ESP8266

Hi Guys,

New user here. How's it going?

I've been trying the past couple of days to get this working - but just can't seem to figure it out. I got one of those ELEGOO car kits off amazon, and the board shield is some V3.0 car shield.

I've managed to flash the ESP8266 so that it shows as an access point, connects to my router. I followed this tutorial here - https://medium.com/@imkiran/connecting-j­ohnny-five-arduino-raspberry-pi-etc-over­-wifi-to-the-pc-using-esp8266-a10348fdb3­00

It comes with some crappy clone hc-08, that can't flash or connect to be used as COM-PORT so that I can control it wirelessly, unless I am mistaken?

Anyways, when I run the JohnnyFive code at the bottom. I can connect to the ESP8266, but it never fires the board.on('ready'....

I get this response

1535487241775 SerialPort Connecting to host:port: 192.168.0.21:41234
    1535487241779 Connected

Now... when I take out the shield and connect the ESP8266 directly to the uno tx/rx - 3.3v/gnd it fires off just fine, then enters the repl.

Cheers,

Saul

Actions