gendor

Member since Jun 2018 • Last active Feb 2023
  • 8 conversations
  • 38 comments

Most recent activity

• 7 comments
  • in Projects

It showing up for me now in the search function as well, thanks for checking!

• in Projects

I want to do that, but need to find the time to separate out the LoRa code into its own module. I also wrote a CayenneLPP encoder that I'd like to contribute as well, but again need to find the time to actually put it into a module.

I contributed a module for the MAX1704x Battery Fuel Gauge a while ago, but I'm not seeing it when I use the search function on the Espruino website?

• in Projects

I originally used the RN2483 module, but when that became unobtainium I switched to the LoRa-E5 (now called Wio-E5) module from Seeed. It has a STM32WL SoC, which contains both an ARM Cortex M4 and a SX126x LoRa radio. The ARM Cortex M4 runs the LoRaWAN stack, and uses an AT command set.

Thanks, I've now updated the link!

• in Projects

Hi all,

I've been working on an open-source outdoor air quality monitor using Espruino for a while now, and it's finally at a stage where I feel comfortable sharing it with you folks! The first batch of ten prototypes used MDBT42Q modules I bought from Gordon, but I found them really hard to solder (even when using a hotplate), so I've since switched to using the E73-2G4M04S1B, which is a bit larger.

Details about the project and build instructions is over on https://www.hackster.io/gerrit-niezen/op­enairmonitor-494b2c

If you'd like to know more about the story behind the project, have a look at my blog: https://gerritniezen.com/designing-an-op­en-source-air-quality-monitor-and-buildi­ng-a-community-sensor

Please let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know, and if you'd like to be a beta tester.

Cheers,
    Gerrit

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

OK, I think I figured it out. I'm using pins D9 & D10 to talk to a I2C device, and according to this thread I needed to disable NFC first. Now it appears to work just fine, and I can even retrieve values from the I2C device (an SHT40 temperature/humidity sensor for which I wrote an Espruino library)

I would still like to know what the best way is to solder these modules? My steps are as follows:

1. Tape the module to the PCB
    2. Add lots of flux
    3. Put some solder on soldering iron and drag it across the pins
    4. Continue doing this until it looks like all connections have been made
    5. Use solder wick to clean up any bridges
    6. Clean up the flux with some IPA

I skipped step 6 last night and this morning my second board stopped working. After cleaning the board it works again, which made me realise that my water-soluble flux is not no-clean flux and should be cleaned.

If I reset the module (pressing button for 5 seconds on startup) I can connect to the board again, but trying to upload a program to RAM or flash causes the same issue again.

Hi there!

I bought 10 pre-flashed MDBT42Q modules to solder onto my own boards that I designed. I've hand-soldered two of them, but can't connect to them reliably over BLE. I can only see the first board's module every now and again when I scan for it from the Espruino Web IDE, and it fails to connect to it. I'm suspecting it could be an issue with the soldering - is there a guide somewhere on how to properly hand-solder these modules?

With the second board I can at least see it every time I scan for it (which is why I'm suspecting bad soldering with the first board), but it's still not connecting reliably. Here is the output from the console log:

>>> Connecting...
    Set Slow Write = true
    BT> Pre-paired Web Bluetooth device already found
    >>> Connecting to MDBT42Q 5ebb
    BT>  Device Name:       MDBT42Q 5ebb
    BT>  Device ID:         uqDPqM8TCHh0fht7a3w0tg==
    >>> Connected to BLE
    BT> Connected
    >>> Configuring BLE...
    BT> Got service
    >>> Configuring BLE....
    BT> RX characteristic:{}
    >>> Configuring BLE....
    >>> Configuring BLE.....
    BT> TX characteristic:{}
    >>> Configuring BLE.....
    Set Slow Write = false
    >>> BLE configured. Receiving data...
    Connected {portName: "MDBT42Q 5ebb"}
    Got ""
    No Prompt found, got undefined - issuing Ctrl-C to try and break out
    Splitting for Ctrl-C, delay 250
    Still no prompt - issuing another Ctrl-C
    Splitting for Ctrl-C, delay 250
    >>> Sending...
    ---> "\u0010print(\"<\",\"<<\",JSON.stringify­(process.env),\">>\",\">\")\n"
    >>> Sent
    >>> Receiving...
    No result found for "process.env" - just got ""
    >>> 
    [notify_error] Unable to retrieve board information.
    Connection Error?
    Device found {"portName":"MDBT42Q 5ebb"}
    [success] Connected to MDBT42Q 5ebb (No response from board)
    >>> Connected to MDBT42Q 5ebb (No response from board)

Any ideas on how can I debug this further?

• 3 comments
Actions