Member since Oct 2017 • Last active Jan 2018
  • 1 conversations
  • 19 comments

UI/UX Designer/Developer
Used on a daily basis: Javascript, PHP, HTML, SCSSGitAdobe: Ps,Ai,Id
Familiar with: Python

Most recent activity

• in ESP8266

Thanks for the reply @MaBe and the link. I finally figured out why I kept getting a bad build; now I can use the 'cutting edge' build as long as I use the 'dio' option instead of 'qio' when flashing.

• in ESP8266

Not tried it out yet, I've been meaning to do a test run off all the pins to get a solid mapping set. Anyone else?

• in ESP8266

I'm trying to keep updated nodemcu esp8266 12e documentation - in regards to flashing and other issues specific to that board.

Any chance you have a screenshot, error log, or steps to reproduce the 'text reversed' issue you encountered? Those would be useful to add to the document/conversation for others who might be searching for 'reversed text' and whatever errors may be showing up.

• in General

For anyone else having the same issues. I've started a thread specifically for the device I had issues with NodeMCU ESP8266 12E Amica.
    The good news—I got it working!

• in ESP8266

Yeah you're right. I was in a hurry or perhaps just frustrated and didn't read it carefully. :D

• in ESP8266

I saw the combined images and wasn't sure how to flash them to the device without digging into esptool documentation. Could you provide example command or link to one?

• in ESP8266

Apologies, I think the way I formatted the post's text made it difficult to see the command line code underneath 'Run write_flash command:'
    You are correct. qio is documented there, but it did not work for this particular board.

The correct setting for this board: dio

• in ESP8266

NodeMCU ESP8266-12E Flashing Espruino

This is still a work in progress. Posting here hopefully with all exact error messages that were gotchas for me so it can be found more easily. More likely, I'll publish a github project to keep track of NodeMCU flashing info for Espruino and otherwise specific to this make/model.

Thanks to the Espruino forum admins to let use third-party board users have a lil' space on their forum to discuss this. I must mention, it seems if you want to use javascript on a microcontroller the best way to go is a genuine Espruino board NodeMCU and the like will likely take a lot of your free time for a couple weeks to get things working the way you thought they would :D

On with it then below you'll find:

• Model Info Sheet
    • Flashing Espruino
    • Additional Notes

ESP8266 Model Info

Results of esptool's flash_id:

esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART flash_id
    Chip: ESP8266
    Manufacturer: c8
    Device: 4016
    Detected flash size: 4MB

This is what I bought: HiLetgo New Version ESP8266 NodeMCU LUA CP2102 ESP-12E Internet WIFI Development Board Open source Serial Wireless Module Works Great with Arduino IDE/Micropython

NodeMCU v2 ESP8266 ESP-12E CP2102 - topNodeMCU v2 ESP8266 ESP-12E CP2102 - bottom

Flashing Espruino Firmware

• Setup directories for your NodeMCU firmware, download latest ('cutting edge') Espruino, unpack it, and enter directory. (setup nested directory, because I also have nodemcu lua firmware I use on this device).

mkdir 'nodemcu-firmware' && cd 'nodemcu-firmware' # create firmware directory and enter it
      mkdir 'espruino' && cd 'espruino' # create espruino directory and enter it
      curl -O 'http://www.espruino.com/binaries/travis­/master/espruino_1v94.136_esp8266_4mb.tg­z' # download the firmware
      tar -xvzf espruino_1v94.136_esp8266_4mb.tgz # upack the .tgz file
      rm espruino_1v94.136_esp8266_4mb.tgz # if tar was success full clean up and remove .tgz file
      cd espruino_1v94.136_esp8266_4mb # enter the new extracted directory

• Connect via USB

• Run erase_flash command.

esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART erase_flash

• /dev/ is specific to macOS
      • I don't believe it matters if you use /dev/cu.* or /dev/tty.*
      • SLAB_USBtoUART is what shows up for me your's may be different. I'll add directions to figure this out when I get to it :D

• Disconnect/Reconnect USB from device. (I haven't tested this to see if it's necessary)

• Run write_flash command:

esptool.py --port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART --baud 115200 write_flash --verify --flash_freq 80m --flash_mode dio --flash_size 32m 0x0000 "boot_v1.6.bin" 0x1000 espruino_esp8266_user1.bin 0x3FC000 esp_init_data_default.bin 0x37E000 blank.binaries

• Use dio to flash the device properly. -- Below, @Gordon mentions that some other boards are able to handle qio and those boards can use it '...for faster access'.

Common Errors

• Using qio option when running the write_flash command to flash the firmware:

• Esptool flashes the firmware to the device without triggering any errors
      • Espruino Web IDE connects to device, but doesn't seem to work properly and may exhibit these issues:
      • Terminal window will not respond. When clicking in terminal window, no text cursor is displayed and will not respond to keyboard entries. (Terminal window still triggered the ':active' state color change when clicked).
      • Settings >> Console -- the console log:

>>> Connecting...
        Set Slow Write = true
        Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
        ERROR: Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
        ERROR: [notify_error] Connection Failed.
        >>> Connection Failed.
        >>> Connecting...
        Set Slow Write = true
        Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
        ERROR: Unable to open device (connectionInfo=undefined)
        ERROR: [notify_error] Connection Failed.
        >>> Connection Failed.
        >>> Connecting...
        Set Slow Write = true
        [object Object]
        Connected [object Object]
        Found a prompt... great!
        >>> Sending...
        ---> "\u0010console.log(\"<\",\"<<\",JSON.str­ingify(process.env),\">>\",\">\")\n"
        >>> Sent
        WARNING: No result found - just got ""
        >>> Sent

• in ESP8266

Ah ha the answer for me was changing from 'qio' to 'dio'.
    No more errors woot!

Actions