ThomasChr

Member since Sep 2017 • Last active Jan 2019
  • 3 conversations
  • 21 comments

Most recent activity

• in General

Hello Forum,

this little test may neither be fair nor exact but i still wonder about the outcome...

The Leibniz Formula is a little float Problem for calculating Pi.

I wrote the code in Python and Javascript and let it run on the PyBoard and the Espruino Pico.

Here‘s the Python-Code:

import time

iterations = 1000000

x = 1
    pi = 1
    start = time.time()
    for i in range(2, iterations + 2):
       x = x * -1
       pi = pi + (x / (2*i-1))

pi = pi * 4
    print('Pi: ' + str(pi))
    end = time.time()
    print('Time taken for ' + str(iterations) + ' Iterations: ' + str((end - start)*1000000) + ' Mikroseconds')

And here‘s the „same“ in Javascript:

var iterations = 1000000;

var x = 1;
    var pi = 1;
    var begin=Date.now();
    for (i = 2; i < iterations + 2; i++) {
      x = x * -1;
      pi = pi + (x / (2*i-1));    
    }

pi = pi * 4;
    console.log('Pi: ' + pi);
    var end= Date.now();
    console.log('Took ' + ((end-begin)*1000) + ' Microseconds');

On the PyBoard the code took 26 seconds to execute, the Pico took 458 seconds.

I‘m a little puzzled of the outcome because I though both boards have floating point hardware, or am I wrong?

Can anyone explain the massive speed difference to me?

Thomas

PS: I know that this synthetic benchmark has nothing to do with overall speed, I just want to understand why these numbers are what they are in this particular case.

• 28 comments
  • in Porting to new Devices

Hey Gordon, thats great news!

I'm not that into Social Media, but @DieSchatzjger is my not so often used Twitter Account :-)

Thomas

• in News

@Gordon: Take your time. Espruino is great, but having a son is so much more :-)

I've made a PR to discuss my code: https://github.com/espruino/Espruino/pul­l/1255

The large lib is not a problem of code size on the due. It's ~250 MBs of Code in the Espruino Repo.

Hi Gordon!

I think the code is kind of ready - setWatch is missing, also PWM, ADC and more UARTs - so a few things are left to do.

But the included library is large (and also does include some manuals), so I think first I need to tidy up a little bit.

Thomas

So... 'save()' is working now. It's not super reliable though. I think I need to make some debugging.
    Systemtime does now work down to the millisecond and has no overflow after 40 days any more...

We now have access to all pins (I counted 63 Pins - impressive) and the SystemTimer for setInterval() and setTimeout() is working - kind of. Not very accuracte. I'm on it.

If someone wants to have a go, here are the Bin-Files: https://www.thomaschristlieb.de/wp-conte­nt/uploads/2017/09/espruinoduebin.tar.gz­

I think after getting a real accurate Time (better than one Second!) I'm trying to get save() to Work...

I've got a REPL, I've got Pin Functions (Config, Get, Set) for the first Pin (the onboard LED). I think we can call it Alpha Status :-)

Next would be to get the setTimeout running by implementing jshGetSystemTime with the build-in RTC. Then I need to enter all possible pins (all 54!) and make the Pin Functions for them.

Thats a lot of work, but not very complicated anymore.

Actions