Pedro

Member since Feb 2017 • Last active Mar 2017
  • 1 conversations
  • 12 comments

Most recent activity

• in ESP8266

Hi @Gordon, I agree that if RESIZABLE_JSVARS is not stable, and until it is, the default builds should not use it, but I would definetively suggest to leave it there so that it can be compiled directly as an option from the main branch. Otherwise keeping it up to date and bring it up to stable would be a nightmare.
    Just one question : I understand from your comment that it is not really working in LINUX ? Regarding "flat string support", do you mean that not everywhere in the code strings are accessed thorugh iterators ? (sorry if this is a naive question).

At least a couple of my code changes are bug fixes for the existing LINUX RESIZABLE_JSVARS part and should anyway be applied. What is the best way to get this done?

Regarding the "variable cache" branch, it is a different topic as I understand it in your comment : RESIZABLE_JSVARS leaves as much heap as possible free when not used for JSVars, and "variable cache" would allow (as you speak of flash cache) to have more JSvars than would fit on RAM. They are two related things, but different in approach and implementation (and complementary to each other in some way).
    By the way, wouldn't this kind of "live" jsvar storage in flash kill it really fast ? (too many refresh cycles) I rendered one ESP8266 unusable by leaving it only one night in a reboot cycle that wrote to the system config area at every reboot.

• in ESP8266

Hi @Gordon, my comments on RESIZABLE_JSVARS above, in my answer to @MaBe.

Regarding the unaligned access code, here it is. I can't remember where I found it first on the internet, so I cannot credit the original idea author (even if current code does not seem too much to the original one...).

By the way, it may need some adjustements to compile (this is just copied from another project of mine, and I have only done minor changes for it to compile in Espruino, but not really checked).

Important: change everywhere ## by the a single "## hash" caracter (unless somebedy explains me how to write a single "## hash" without it being interpreted by the forum as some special character...)

To activate the code, you need to call virtual_unaligned_memory_access() early in user_init()

##include "espmissingincludes.h"
     ##define RODATA __attribute__((section(".rodata")))
     ##define EXCCAUSE_LOAD_STORE_ERROR 3
     ##define EXCCAUSE_UNALIGNED 9
     ##define __stringify_1(x...) ##x
     ##define __stringify(x...) __stringify_1(x)
     ##define RSR(sr) ({ \
            uint32_t r; \
            __asm__ volatile("rsr %0," __stringify(sr) : "=a"(r)); \
            r; \
    })

struct xtos_saved_regs {
            uint32_t pc;    /* instruction causing the trap */
            uint32_t ps;
            uint32_t sar;
            uint32_t vpri;  /* current xtos virtual priority */
            uint32_t a0;    /* when __XTENSA_CALL0_ABI__ is true */
            uint32_t a[16]; /* a2 - a15 */
    };

typedef void (_xtos_handler_func)(struct xtos_saved_regs *);
    typedef _xtos_handler_func *_xtos_handler;
    _xtos_handler _xtos_set_exception_handler( int n, _xtos_handler f );

const char _trap_unaligned_debug_msg[] RODATA = "Unaligned access @%p [%08x %08x]: %p\n";
    uintptr_t _trap_unaligned_last;
    uint32_t _trap_unaligned_read;

static void CALLED_FROM_INTERRUPT unaligned_debug(uint8_t *pc, void *vaddr) {
            uint32_t *base = (uint32_t *)((uintptr_t) pc & ~0x3);
            ets_printf(_trap_unaligned_debug_msg, pc, base[0], base[1], vaddr);
    }

uint8_t inline CALLED_FROM_INTERRUPT read_unaligned_byte(uint8_t *addr) {
            uintptr_t base = (uintptr_t) addr & ~0x3;
            if(base != _trap_unaligned_last) {
                    _trap_unaligned_read = * (uint32_t *) base;
                    _trap_unaligned_last = base;
            }
            return ((uint8_t *)&_trap_unaligned_read)[((uintptr_t) addr & 0x3)];
    }

static void CALLED_FROM_INTERRUPT flash_emul_exception_handler(struct xtos_saved_regs *frame) {
            uint32_t vaddr = RSR(EXCVADDR);
            uint32_t instr = read_unaligned_byte((uint8_t *) frame->pc) | (read_unaligned_byte((uint8_t *) frame->pc + 1) << 8);
            uint8_t at = (instr >> 4) & 0xf;
            uint32_t val;
            uint32_t count;
            uint32_t u2s;

if (vaddr < 0x40200000 /* 0x3ffe8000 */) {
                    unaligned_debug((void *)frame->pc, (void *)vaddr);
                    while(1);
            }

if ((instr & 0xf00f) == 0x0002) {
                    // |     imm8       |   r   |   as  |   at  |0 0 1 0|
                    // l8ui at, as, imm    r:0
                    frame->pc += 3;
                    count = 1;
                    u2s = 0;
            } else if ((instr & 0x700f) == 0x1002) {
                    // |     imm8       |   r   |   as  |   at  |0 0 1 0|
                    // l16ui at, as, imm   r:1
                    // l16si at, as, imm   r:9
                    frame->pc += 3;
                    count = 2;
                    u2s = (instr & 0x8000);
            } else if ((instr & 0xf00f) == 0x2002) {
                    // |     imm8       |0 0 1 0|   as  |   at  |0 0 1 0|
                    // l32i at, as, 0..1020
                    frame->pc += 3;
                    count = 4;
                    u2s = 0;
            } else if ((instr & 0x000f) == 0x0008) {
                    // |  imm4 |   s   |   t   |1 0 0 0|
                    // l32i.n at, as, 0..60
                    frame->pc += 2;
                    count = 4;
                    u2s = 0;
            } else {
                    unaligned_debug((void *)frame->pc, (void *)vaddr);
                    while(1);
            }

val = 0;
            do {
                    val |= read_unaligned_byte((uint8_t *) vaddr + --count);
                    if(count) val <<= 8;
            } while(count);

/* a0 and a1 are never used as scratch registers */
            frame->a[at - 2] = (u2s) ? (int16_t) val : val;
    }

void virtual_unaligned_memory_access(void) {
            _xtos_set_exception_handler(EXCCAUSE_LOA­D_STORE_ERROR, flash_emul_exception_handler);
            _xtos_set_exception_handler(EXCCAUSE_UNA­LIGNED, flash_emul_exception_handler);
    }

• in ESP8266

Hi @MaBe, 1MB for save code won't work, as far as I have seen in the code. The main reason is that saved code must be first allocated somewhere in RAM, and we do not have so much RAM :)
    Also, when we already have saved code in flash, and we try to save state later, the whole code in flash will try to go to the stack (alloca) temporarily ro reflash, which for sure is not good.
    In my code you will find an implementation of alloca that will check if we have enough stack and at least return NULL if not enough room, instead of overflowing.
    Regarding RESIZABLE_JSVARS, the code is already there for Linux, I did not reinvent the wheel :) The idea is to leave as much heap free as possible when not needed for JsVars (better encryption, more connections, etc), and allow it to grow on demand. Of course there is some work to be done, to make sure we always leave a minimum, but it is just an "if" in the provided malloc function, and a check for NULL in where the code calls malloc (I think I did not see this check in the LINUX code, but it is quite straight forward)

• in ESP8266

Happy it is being useful :)

Just a couple of remarks:

• No need for two different linker scripts (app1 and app2). By definition in this mode both images should be identical (which is indeed a great advantage), so we only need to generate one, and if we want to keep two for consisntency, I would point both linker scripts to the same file.
    • We need to check the upper limit. In the "jswrap esp8266 network.c" file you pointed before as having a hardcoded flash address, I see it is pointing to the last page, looks like) so we may need to adjust the linker script to allow for one page less size, and of course adding 1Mb to the flash address if we are in image 2 (in runtime, getting the base flash address from the corresponding sdk os_* function)
  • in ESP8266

Hi @MaBe,

If I did not get anything wrong :) here's the branch : https://github.com/pedro-es/Espruino/tre­e/esp8266-enhancements

I only did one commit for all the files, as they are interrelated. The comments for the commit covers all.

• in ESP8266

@MaBe, @Wilberforce, how do I create a new branch ? (or do I just fork into my repository). As commented, not a expert github user (mostly a newby here)

• in ESP8266

In the Makefile:

ESP_FLASH_SIZE ?= 6
    ET_FS ?= 32m-c1

And in user_main.c, change (to avoid a warning):

if ((chip == 0x4013 && map != 0) || (chip == 0x4016 && map != 4)) {

to

if ((chip == 0x4013 && map != 0) || (chip == 0x4016 && map != 4 && map != 6)) {

As soon as I have created the branch I will submit the changes for review (including this in the makefile with the proper conditionals)

In this mode, user1 and user2 bin files are identical (no different ld files) and the bootloader maps the first or second MB of flash to 0x40200000. As commented before, I need to check in the existing code that there is nothing hardcoded in current espruino build for ESP8266 when referencing flash from the first or second image

• in ESP8266

Yes it is. Initially only 128 jsvars are allocated, and it grows as needed.

• in ESP8266

You are right. For the 4MB map we do not need a new board. For RESIZABLE_JSVARS, as it is behaving differenty as the standard ESP8266 current version, I wanted to make sure not to mess with it and create a new board. To avoid "forking" then new board just includes the standard ESP8266_BOARD.py and changes a few parameters. If there is a cleaner way, will be happy to do it.

Actions