• 81 comments

Also known as "billsalt"
Bill Saltzstein
Code Blue Consulting/Code Blue Communications
Bluetooth and Medical Device Consultant
http://www.linkedin.com/in/billsaltzstei­n

Most recent activity

• in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Thanks @gordon! I understand the aphorism is more truth than humor.

Thanks for the pointers to the code; it does indeed look like I might be able to make a version to implement the security I want as default behavior. I'll give it a try and let you know if I'm successful. It is worth trying to use espruino to have flexibility.

I'm using the NRF52832 dev board version and running it on an Adafruit board for a small project for a local theater. We don't want some smart patron to grab the peripheral with their phone.

Thanks again -- Bill

Hi @Gordon, yes as a peripheral. No on detection; I want to set up the security modes supported by Nordic to require the various security modes at the GAP layer.

For this specific application, I'd like to mandate LESC with Just Works (since I'm not worried about MITM protection in this application). If I end up coding this in C, I'll start from the Nordic example code in "LE Secure Connections Multirole Example".

I'm not sure whether this is covered in Web Bluetooth, but I'd think you'd want to be able to set the Security Mode and Level as parameters when setting up, perhaps in setting up advertising?

Let me know if the above makes sense. Happy to chat more about it; I've been getting involved in Cybersecurity in my consulting practice and need to be able to practice what I preach!

New aphorism I saw: "The S in IoT stands for Security".

Thanks! Bill

@Gordon Any support in the works for LE security modes control as a peripheral?

Probably @Gordon: Can an Espruino central connect/control more than 1 peripheral?

• 8 comments

Hi @Gordon,
    Sorry for the delay; other (paying) work... As it turns out, your suggestion got me to the right track inadvertently. I've had a serial-output sensor connected to Tx, Rx. When you suggested I connect to the default TX/RX, I couldn't because they were used. I think you get the picture... It was spitting out data whether or not the device was connected to Bluetooth. It appears that Espruino took it for debug port when disconnected and was sometimes messing things up when I tried to reconnect (or while disconnected).

I moved the sensor UART to a different GPIO and it seems to be much happier. Does that make sense to you?

The project is an air quality sensor made from Adafruit parts. We've had a horrible fire/smoke season on the US west coast this year, and the air quality monitoring stations are rather sparse and do not report in real time. Most of the consumer sensors are handheld with a display and a bit expensive. I now have a Bluetooth, battery powered sensor. I'll be posting it once I get it tidied up into an enclosure. Probably post it to hackaday as well so that others can use it.

Thanks!
    Bill

Actions