Also known as "billsalt"
Bill Saltzstein
Code Blue Consulting/Code Blue Communications
Bluetooth and Medical Device Consultant
http://www.linkedin.com/in/billsaltzstei­n

Most recent activity

• 8 comments
  • in Puck.js, Pixl.js and MDBT42

Thanks for the observation @Robin. There's a lot more going on with my project, including a custom flex circuit with a tag-connect JTAG port, so I'm good with what I've got going on.

I've ordered parts directly in the past and was very happy with that and support @Gordon and recommend the Espruino products quite often.

Thanks!
    Bill

Thanks @Gordon! I've already purchased 30 MDBT modules for DigiKey for this project, so the sale has already been made :-} I think touch-to-pair, OOB pairing is a great way to get good authentication and help make our solutions secure.

I'll keep the consulting offer in mind, but may indeed go and do a custom version based on the Nordic examples (HR, in particular). If I do so and get it working, I'd happily contribute it back.

That being said, I don't know how many Espruino implementations have a need for good security, but commercial products have an increasing visibility. See the story today about Russian hackers using iOT devices as entry points to hack larger systems. My $0.02, as we say in the US (conversion to local currencies left to the reader).

Thanks again! Bill

Thanks for the quick response @Gordon! I have a couple of issues with the approach you suggest: security risk, and the web-connectivity requirement that it presents. Both of them are non-starters for the application. What I really need is OOB pairing using the NFC interface.

I'll be going to C code for the final implementation, but was hoping to use Espruino for the 25 prototypes I'm building. It didn't seem supported at this point, but I thought I'd ask. Put it in the 'enhancements' bucket and see if anyone else is interested in this support going forward?

Thanks again,
    Bill

Hi All,
    I have the simple tag working just fine, is this possible/supported? Nordic has a few examples (inluding the HR demo), but unclear how/if I can do this with Espruino.

Thanks in advance,
    Bill

• in Other Boards

Thank you @Gordon! REALLY appreciate your help. The code is part of a DMX lighting protocol over Bluetooth to on-stage lighting effects. The show has its final dress rehearsal tonight and I made the appropriate changes and everything is working, just in time! I'll send you some photos of the result when the show pics are posted. It will run about 80 performances over the summer. I was concerned about someone in the audience connecting and stopping the advertising which would be a show-stopper (literally).
    Thanks again! Bill

• in Other Boards

Apologies @Gordon. It has been that kind of day for me. I was spending multitasking cycles with other projects and replicating it on a supported platform as was suggested. I wasn't aware of this specification limitation, so thank you. Interestingly, this has been eliminated for 5.0 since it is something that we actually want to do. Looks like a new softdevice to enable that capability :-{

• in Other Boards

Hi @Gordon, I tested the following on a Pixl running released 2v01 code. It ceases to advertise. When set to true for connectable, it works fine. It is reproducible.

Help? Bill

//
    //  OSF Between Two Knees lighting effect translator
    //

var count = 0;  // for testing
    var i = 0;

// port definitions

const DMX_length = 18;
    const DMX_channel = 0x05;

var DMX_data = new Uint8Array(DMX_length);      // array to store DMX data received

for (i = 0; i < DMX_data.length; i++)
    {
      DMX_data[i] = 0;
    }

//
    // Initialize; set up
    //

NRF.setTxPower(4);         // +4 dBM (maximum)
    NRF.setAdvertising({},{
      name: "PTG",
      interval: 30,
      connectable: false,      // change to false before deployment
      manufacturer: 0x0583,    // Code Blue Communications
      manufacturerData:[DMX_data]
    });

• in Other Boards

I'm sorry that I have confused you. The first case you show does NOT work. I removed the 2nd call: I added for debugging when the simpler case did not work, but is confusing the issue.

Anytime I turn off connectable (through either set of code) it stops advertising.

Actions